BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Wall reference line in composite walls

KeesW
Advocate
Here is something that most of you probably know but I didn't. Wall reference lines in composite walls are not infinitely adjustable, as for ordinary walls. In fact, there are only 6 options. Putting the centre of new walls over predetermined grid lines is sometimes a useful way to start a plan. I did so, selecting the centre of the wall for the wall reference lines because I hadn't resolved wall finish thicknesses. I figured that I could adjust the exact location of the reference line later.

NO! If you are using composite walls comprising a standard timber frame with different finishes, one should select the 'centre of core' option. If one doesn't do this, walls with different thickness claddings won't line up or join properly because the reference lines won't line up. I've had to go through and adjust all my external walls because they have thicker claddings than internal walls. A lesson learned for next time!
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
1 REPLY 1
Erich
Contributor
Not entirely true. While there are only certain default locations for the reference line, you can adjust it infinitely with the indicated reference line offset control. Typically I set my reference line at the structural core and allow the skins to do what they will and then adjust the few walls necessary for proper clean up.

Of course there may be more adjustment with a centerline alignment depending on your wall skins.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Learn and get certified!