BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Walls inside of Hotlinks - Controlling Clean Intersections

tsturm
Newcomer
I have walls inside of hotlinks inside of hotlinks which I do not want them to clean intersect at the final plan.

These would be walls which I do not want to clean intersect with fire rated partitions. I want the fire partition to look unbroken. I do not want the unrated intersecting walls to intersect as I want the plane of the gypsum of the fire wall to run past the connecting wall.

How do I control this when I have walls inside of hotlinks? I know about use of layer sets to save my layer priorities. Yet how to I have walls in my hotlinks on the same layer as my final plan which some are to clean up and others are not to clean up?

I have bathroom walls in a unit which I do not want to clean and I have walls for the corridor I want to clean with demising walls in the plans which are drawn in between the unit plans. A unit plan in the hotlink does not have the demising wall included. The unit plan is from face of finish to face of finish. Demising walls are in the final plan. Should the corridor walls of the units also be in the final plan? They are currently in the hotlinked unit plans.

We are also using hotlinked bathrooms into the unit plans. The walls of the bathroom should not connect to the surrounding walls of the demising or corridor as those are rated.

I know this can all be achieved. I just need to figure out the layer settings of the Layer Set group.

I am finding that if the layer number for the hotlink does not match with the walls of the final plan, such as the corridor from the unit plan hotlink file, meeting the demising wall, then they dont clean up. Yet i dont want the bathroom walls to clean up with the demising walls.
Terrence Sturm, Architect
AC 23 build
AC 24 build 5000
6 REPLIES 6
Lingwisyer
Guru
Any chance you can illustrate that? I'm getting a bit lost... at what is connecting to what with what intersection groups...

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Barry Kelly
I would say you either need to be very careful with the layer intersection group numbers, or make your fire walls (main walls) with a stronger building material so the weaker walls do not cut them.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
tsturm
Newcomer
Barry

This process of using building materials would require a lot of building materials and duplication of wall types. I do understand your suggestion. Thank you for the suggestion.
AC 23 build
AC 24 build 5000
Barry Kelly
tsturm wrote:
This process of using building materials would require a lot of building materials and duplication of wall types. I do understand your suggestion. Thank you for the suggestion.

You mentioned fire rated partition walls.
The composites for these wall types should have building material that are stronger than regular walls so they are not penetrated by the weaker walls.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
tsturm
Newcomer
Barry wrote:
tsturm wrote:

You mentioned fire rated partition walls.
The composites for these wall types should have building material that are stronger than regular walls so they are not penetrated by the weaker walls.

Barry.
yes. Yet that would mean making different building materials for Type X or Type C gypsum used for Fire Barriers that is different than for Walls which are not Fire Barriers such as Smoke Barriers. Both use the same Gypsum board yet you dont want them connecting.

The example I gave would be the bathroom walls of a unit.

They should not blend with the demising wall of the unit. The demising wall has a 1 hour rating. The bathroom walls do not. Yet I would be using the same metal studs. I suppose I could make more building materials to use in my composites to help control the issue.

Would this be an easier method than using layer settings to control blending?
AC 23 build
AC 24 build 5000
Barry Kelly
tsturm wrote:
They should not blend with the demising wall of the unit. The demising wall has a 1 hour rating. The bathroom walls do not. Yet I would be using the same metal studs. I suppose I could make more building materials to use in my composites to help control the issue.

Would this be an easier method than using layer settings to control blending?

I would think so.
I would create wall composites for each fire rating.
They can all look the same (if that is what you want), although I would think it would be handy if they actually looked a little different to each other as well.

Of course you can have them all look alike for you main plans and use graphic overrides to create a separate fire rating plan where you can override the styles of each wall based on the fire rating.
The graphic overrides could be set to look for the different composite names or you can use the actual fire rating property in the wall instead if you want to use classifications and properties.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Learn and get certified!