BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Walls overlaping

Anonymous
Not applicable
Im using 8.1 and In section and elevation my walls are overlaping causing confusion when reading where a wall is and how it is intersecting with other objects. For instance. When looking at an elevation, there is a line where the first floor wall stops and second floor wall starts. How can I make this look loke one wall in elevation or section. thanks for the help.
Architecture Student
Colin
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ensure that walls line up with each other exactly, that top of first floor wall is exactly at bottom of second floor wall, and that both walls have the same surface material.

HTH
Anonymous
Not applicable
Also, in 3D window settings set contours to "best".
Peter Devlin
Anonymous
Not applicable
lets see here, I dont have a problem in 3D, its only in my sections/elevations that this occures. Basically, you have two walls that join to make an intersecton at a corner. Well, when i look at this intersection in elevation or section, it shows both walls, the one that is perpendicular to your line of sight and the one intersecting it (behing it). We all know that in an elevation or section, whats in front is seen, and whats behind is hidden, right? Well then, how come I can see them both. I believe this goes hand in hand with the first story/second story problem I mentioned in the previous post. You see, my first story wall is 12 feet then the second story wall starts at 12 feet and ends at 22 feet, so they are directly on top of one another, but when I look at the elevation, I see a 22 foot high wall with a line in the middle at 12 feet. Again this is only in section/elevation, my 3D model is fine. thanks
Anonymous
Not applicable
cbgapx127 wrote:
Basically, you have two walls that join to make an intersecton at a corner. Well, when i look at this intersection in elevation or section, it shows both walls, the one that is perpendicular to your line of sight and the one intersecting it (behing it). We all know that in an elevation or section, whats in front is seen, and whats behind is hidden, right?
Make sure your referance lines join. "Option/clean wall and beam intersetions" will allow you to see the reference lines.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have that checked off. My plans look great and my rendering looks great. Its ONLY in my sections/elevations that this problem is occuring at. Its like the program doesnt know that even though there are 2 stories containing two different elements, when looked at in elevation, it should read as one solid wall. Do this, make a wall 4 feet high, make a second wall starting at 4 feet and ending at 10 feet directly on top of it. Make a 2D elevation looking at this wall (two elements stacked to make one). See the 9 foot high square with a line running through it at 4 feet? If so, how do I fix this. If you dont see it, then I wish I was using your computer.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I had that same problem.
The reason? I had different MATERIAL applied to the walls. Rendering material. If you have 1 wall. Split in half and assign different Material then you would see a line.
Djordje
Ace
cbgapx127 wrote:
If so, how do I fix this. If you dont see it, then I wish I was using your computer.
Both walls should have the same material and align perfectly.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
cbgapx127 wrote:
I have that checked off. My plans look great and my rendering looks great. Its ONLY in my sections/elevations that this problem is occuring at.
I have had times where I appear to have a clean wall intersection, but the reference lines are not aligning exactly. This will cause extra unwanted lines in your elevations. If materials match and edges line up EXACTLY you do not get extraneous lines. The only times I need to "fight" to get clean elevations is when I have complex wall intersection on the exterior wall (walls of different thickness and angles joining). Post a file where you are not getting clean elevations and perhaps we can speculate.
Learn and get certified!