BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Welcome!

Akos Pfemeter
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Dear Archi-Talkers,

Welcome to the renewed discussion forum of the ArchiCAD user community. As default structure for the new forum we created the following main categories:

- General Discussions: here you can share your opinion with other users about various topics (Note that in the discussion section requesting assistance is inappropriate).

- Specific Questions & Problems: here you can ask for support of fellow ArchiCAD users, or if you are an expert you can be of assistance to beginners.

- Other: here you can share various types of information with fellow ArchiCAD users.

As the forum evolves new categories/topics may be created according to your needs.

Before you start participating in the discussions please refer to the Etiquette section of the forum about basic rules of the forum. If you have any questions or recommendations, please turn to the moderator.

Best regards,
Akos Pfemeter
Graphisoft

Akos Pfemeter

VP Global Cross-Brand Sales, Graphisoft

41 REPLIES 41
James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Djordje.

I would like to offer a couple of suggestions for this forum and thread heading - mainly from my experience on other forums.

The heading 'Other Products: Discussions about any other product. (Example: Which rendering application is the best for architects?)' really seems to fit into the 'Presentation - Rendering and Multimedia: Producing imagery with ArchiCAD or 3rd party products; Materials; Lighting; etc' hence some of the confusion and doubling up of topics.

Also, it would be nice to have an area for API developers to talk and also an 'ArchiCADbar' - where people can talk about non-AC stuff. And lastley (if I'm not already pushing things) a topic for 'Forum Suggestions & Help' so a post like this is not in an AC related thread

Hmm, I think that's all. lol.
Hope this helps.

James.
James Badcock
Graphisoft Senior Product Manager
MMontgomery
Enthusiast
I am SO glad to see a forum like this setup for ArchiCAD!!

And I agree with the poster above, we could use an 'ArchiPUB' section for non-AC related stuff.

Thanks for getting this forum up and running!
AC 6-27 - Intel i9-9900K - RTX3090 - Windows 11 - 64GB RAM
Karl Ottenstein
James wrote:
Also, it would be nice to have an area for API developers to talk
Hi James,

You asked Djordje, but I hope you don't mind my answering the above part of the question.

So far, the API is covered by a non-disclosure agreement - even though it is a free download for development of sample add-ons with the demo version of ArchiCAD. (The $1,500 license fee applies to obtaining a key that permits the production of add-ons that run with the production versions of the product.)

The non-disclosure prevents those of us who have signed it from talking about any specifics of the API, however Graphisoft has set up a password protected 'developer forum' for people who have signed the agreement. Contact developer support for more information....however, don't get your hopes up...that forum is essentially dead - nobody visits.

As many saw in the old forums recently, GS made the various GDL technologies free recently and many of us wished (yet again) for the same freedom for the API. If the API becomes 'open' - as it is with every major manufacturer that I can think of - then yes (!) lets have a forum here. It's up to Graphisoft and their attorneys of course.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Djordje
Ace
MMontgomery wrote:
I am SO glad to see a forum like this setup for ArchiCAD!!

And I agree with the poster above, we could use an 'ArchiPUB' section for non-AC related stuff.

Thanks for getting this forum up and running!
There IS an ArchiPUB on Yahoo! Groups!

Email Stuart James (he is here too) and ask for directions
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
As many saw in the old forums recently, GS made the various GDL technologies free recently...

Karl
It is my understanding that the various GDL technologies are not free as of yet, though anticipated...

What's the hold-up?...Come on GS! Set us free!
Karl Ottenstein
Richard wrote:
What's the hold-up
My guess? 'lawyers'?

(P.S. Editing to see what's up with the new message that appears below listing the number of times a message has been edited ... never appeared before now on other messages.)
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl Ottenstein
Djordje wrote:
There IS an ArchiPUB on Yahoo! Groups!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/archiPUB/
Karl Ottenstein
Welcome, bienvenido, bienvenu, bienvenuto, boa vinda, wilkommen, tervetuloa, valkommen, isten hozta, feestelijk inhalen, youkoso, добро пожаловать, and more!

I miss many of our (collective) old friends from around the world. For example, who was the fellow in Africa that was teaching us interesting phrases in his language a while back? So far, the membership of this new forum is dominated by people with English as their native tongue - which does not reflect the diversity of the ArchiCAD user base.

I know that there are some separate lists in languages other than English that some user groups have set up, but I would sure like to hear from a broader group than we have here (so far - growing daily)... and for that matter, than we have had on the old list for the past 6 months or so.

Potential participants: please do not be bashful if your English is not perfect. We can probably understand what you say - and you can attach a picture to explain what you cannot say. 😉 Nobody will (or should) judge you for stumbling in a language that is not your own....unless you are the author of any of the Graphisoft documentation. 😉

Karl
Djordje
Ace
Добро дошли!

The above is my small contribution ...
Karl wrote:
I miss many of our (collective) old friends from around the world. For example, who was the fellow in Africa that was teaching us interesting phrases in his language a while back?
Vincent Owiti, who could not see the wood from the trees? Just got an email from him the other day after a LONG time; hopefully he will join us soon.
Karl wrote:
So far, the membership of this new forum is dominated by people with English as their native tongue - which does not reflect the diversity of the ArchiCAD user base.

Potential participants: please do not be bashful if your English is not perfect. We can probably understand what you say - and you can attach a picture to explain what you cannot say. 😉 Nobody will (or should) judge you for stumbling in a language that is not your own....unless you are the author of any of the Graphisoft documentation. 😉
Hah! never stopped me
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi! Long time lurker, perhaps more occasional poster now that there is a much handier web-based forum.

unfortunately, I don't think I know any particularly interesting phrases in New Englandese to share, but as my archicad has decided to be goofy this morning I may have some questions to ask!

cheers!
Katie Bertsche
Mercer &Bertsche
AC8v2, various G4s, os x.2
Learn and get certified!