Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

What do you think about the last presentation of Graphisoft?

hpenbeoglu
Booster
Archicad 24 event was good but probably focused on new users, so it was boring or let's say not exciting enough for advanced users like me. I was expecting more about the product.

[list=]
  • Logo change can be told with a video explaining the history of it and why did you select this one?
    • Presenters could show some projects on dark Mac screen.
    • Showing, walking in the campus (GS Park) would be perfect (like Apple) because standing still presenter is always not attractive.
    What else did you think while watching?
    BIM Manager, Architect in the UK | AC11-AC27

Macbook Pro 16" 2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 - 32 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD | MacOS 13.3.1 (a)
    36 REPLIES 36
    Anonymous
    Not applicable
    Bricklyne wrote:
    But sadly I'm carrying a great deal of scar tissue from the many many times Lucy pulled the football and left me eating dirt.

We all do.

Edit: Ooops! Mislinked youtube video.
    Brett Brown
    Advocate
    Param-o and python scripts will be advantageous to a small minority of users. Won't they be happy.

What about the majority of the user base who have been crying out for just some of the basics to be fixed, improved, and added to so at least we have some productivity enhancements in this release. Yippy polylines can intersect and that was it.

Every question asking the same old things we have been waiting for in the Q&As was greeted with the same answer "It's in our roadmap" What fing roadmap?

All the average user wanted was something improved to make his day more productive and enjoyable and less workarounds. Unfortunately not. Yet another year of waiting.

The only hint I saw in those presentations was they might start to introduce features at every hotfix, but it would be a big surprise if that happens, seeing will be believing, and I don't class the Mac version of Paramo an added feature for us mere mortals.

Vectorworks seems more suited to the average neglected user here and there upcoming release is looking promising. They have actually copied something Archicad has had for years with the on-demand menus/pallets at the cursor and of course Dark Mode

Who cares about Revit, why isn't there better interoperability between Vectorworks and Archicad, other than IFC, when they are in the same stable?

I had to laugh when someone asked about the woeful mesh tools in Archicad, and the answer was Vectorworks has an excellent set of site tools. Sumed up the presentation.
    Imac, Big Sur AC 20 NZ, AC 25 Solo UKI,
    Laszlo Nagy
    Community Admin
    Community Admin
    JSN wrote:
    Well, of course I wrote it's a bit offtopic but related to stuff written previously, nevertheless if I remember correctly it's your forum not mine ...

It is GRAPHISOFT's forum, but it is based on a forum software (phpbb) developed by a third party. So this forum can have that feature only if the developer of phpbb implements it. So you should head to the phpbb forum and make a wish for this feature there.
    Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
    AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
    2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
    JSN
    Enthusiast
    LaszloNagy wrote:
    JSN wrote:
    Well, of course I wrote it's a bit offtopic but related to stuff written previously, nevertheless if I remember correctly it's your forum not mine ...
    It is GRAPHISOFT's forum, but it is based on a forum software (phpbb) developed by a third party. So this forum can have that feature only if the developer of phpbb implements it. So you should head to the phpbb forum and make a wish for this feature there.

Sure it is. However, due to a matter of facts it seems like that I am just one individual of a community with 14.383 members and I got no insights, knowledge or connections to the forum software developer. I guess I cannot give much importance on that matter to them, I mean I'm just a single user with way less power and influence than, let's say, a globally operating company which even has its name represented in the domain and is happy to get constructive feedback from their cutomers ... Too bad, if there only would be such one.

Just my thoughts on that, but hey I got the message and it really speaks volumes.
    Laszlo Nagy
    Community Admin
    Community Admin
    JSN,

OK, so you are suggesting that GRAPHISOFT as a company ask the developer of phpbb to implement this forum feature.
    But GRAPHISOFT is only a single customer of phpbb, so I do not see how the size of the company is relevant, the developer of phpbb gets the same amount of money from GRAPHISOFT for its forum software as from any other user of phpbb.

But OK, let's do this: create a Wish for this feature and let people vote on it. This way we can see what other members of the community think about it.

P.S.: You could also check the phpbb wish forum, there may already be a wish about this feature there in which you can vote.
    JSN
    Enthusiast
    LaszloNagy wrote:
    JSN,
    But OK, let's do this: create a Wish for this feature and let people vote on it. This way we can see what other members of the community think about it.

I have created a post here: https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=70344
    Laszlo Nagy
    Community Admin
    Community Admin
    Great. I have created a Poll for your wish. You can vote in your own Poll.
    Anonymous
    Not applicable
    It looks like Graphisoft's presentation shockwaves have reached hard the Revit Community.

https://www.aecmag.com/comment-mainmenu-36/2046-autodesk-aec-customers-demand-better-value?utm_campa...
    AECMagazine wrote:
    It will be interesting to see how Autodesk reacts and if it makes any cultural changes to address its now vocal, frustrated, advanced BIM user base. We are certainly seeing much more experimentation with other CAD and BIM authoring tools such as ArchiCAD, Catia, BricsCAD, Rhino/Grasshopper, Rhino Inside, BlenderBIM and others, driven by a number of factors. Practices are seeking better value for money and not just as alternatives to Revit but also to advance their digital design and fabrication workflows. Mature BIM practices want to progress onwards and not feel like they have gone into a BIM technology cul-de-sac.
    jl_lt
    Ace
    i have seen firsthand how much it actually costs Offices and clients to use revit. Hint: a lot!
    jl_lt
    Ace
    Sorry to insist with this guys, but after seeing some roadmaps, i think is pointless if nobody likes to where it is going. A direction needs to be stablished then you do the roadmap. Unfortunately, from a business point of view, in a software as big as Archicad, i think it would be dangerous to show your cards in that way. Its like telling yout competition what to do, specially for major updates. Graphisoft seems to like to use the surprise factor.

But on the other hand, for smaller things, do Graphisoft actually does some metaanalisis with the polls to know which wishes are the most sought for? What people actually needs? what changes could give the most results with the less effort? empirical evidence, from an external point of view (user) so far says "not much". My point is, right now wishes are quite scattered, with no order anymore, anyone can wish whatever they want, so its no surprise its hardly ever listened to. There needs to be direction even in what we ask for.

Consider this text:

https://www.onland.info/archives/2008/01/the_standard_element.php

It lays out beautifully, in a broad sense, what this user thinks all elements should behave. You can agree or not (personally i do), but this is the kind of vision that could get us somewhere.