Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

What do you think of the features announced for V9

Anonymous
Not applicable
What do you think of the features announced for V9?
I personally think its just v8.2
Just 5-6 features to excuse a new release
17 REPLIES 17
Dwight
Newcomer
The "Trump" card on this upgrade is the new renderer - an entire new plateau - in these inflationary times, that deserves a whole new integer.

This does bode ill for the future of upgrades in general. I expect that after software releases hit 10, they'll start jumping by factors of 10 - we'll get to "ArchiCAD 20" long before plasma diffusion environments are practical as architectural communication tools.

By then, there will probably be a reality TV show involving the "Trump," it would be called "The Upgrade." Upgrades will be so frequent and unrelenting by then, his tag line will be: "You're tired!"
Dwight Atkinson
Thomas Holm
Booster
In the software industry, version upgrades usually mean important changes to the user interface, new features, and/or file-format changes that make saved files impossible to open in previous versions without conversion or special procedures (i.e. Save As...). Version upgrades usually cost money.

AC9 has all of that.

Point upgrades (x.1, x.2 etc) usually mean completion or improvement of already implemented features, along with bug-fixes. Point upgrades are usually free.

AC9 has that too (better PDF integration for example). But it has more, see above.

I'd like to add that the interface and handling changes in AC9 might seem small to some, but for me who has publicly wanted some of these for eight years or more, this is big. Having migrated from a Microstation environment, I can tell that the flexibility and streamlining of your workflow offered by AC9 will leverage the program's usability in a quite noticable way.

It will also be an important selling point to practices based on Microstation and Autocad, where some of these features are taken for granted. And this will be of significance to all of us!
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
1. don't you think it's a little early for a pole since most have not even seen ArchiCAD 9 yet?

2. the poll questions are very interesting... a little skewed maybe ???
Anonymous
Not applicable
woodster wrote:
1. don't you think it's a little early for a pole since most have not even seen ArchiCAD 9 yet?

2. the poll questions are very interesting... a little skewed maybe ???
Why skewed? It has one very positive, one negative and one neutral.

Any suggestions for altering it?

And secondly we can commend on the features we know there are in V9.
Be sure if they were more they would have told us.
As simple as that
__archiben
Booster
oreopoulos wrote:
What do you think of the features announced for V9?
I personally think its just v8.2
Just 5-6 features to excuse a new release
i think maybe people should wait until a more detailed list of features becomes available before voting. there is not enough information here to be able to judge!

see my post here:
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=20156#20156

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Djordje
Ace
woodster wrote:
Why skewed? It has one very positive, one negative and one neutral.
Work with it a month.

Then open 8.1

Click on a slab and wonder why it is not selected.

Place a cursor on the edge of an object and wonder why it does not turn into Mercedes. The cursor, that is.

Click into an object, or text, and wonder why it is not selected.

Curse as you can't split a polyline.

Wrestle with the DWG sent from AutoCAD 2004/2005.

Edit a slab, roof and a mesh and curse as you have to edit the fill that you have to put on top.

Break your fingers typing CTRL V.

Export to ArtLantis or something else and waste more time than you have to spend to learn LightWorks.

Set the working environment umptillionth time.

No, I will not mention the text. Intentionally.

Do not judge by demos. Read between the lines. Upgrade.

It is worth it.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Dwight
Newcomer
I am just advised that the US price to upgrade is $495.

Chicken feed.
Dwight Atkinson
Dwight
Newcomer
And for anyone contemplating a new renderer - give LightWorks a chance.....
Dwight Atkinson
Vitruvius
Contributor
I've always found every upgrade thoughtful, well conceived and a boon to productivity. My only caution is that GS not repeat the V8.0 fiasco. I'd rather wait a few more months to get a stable product that I can use with confidence.

That being said, 8.1 is a fantastic programme. Aside from the powerhouse computers at the office, I use it at home on a 1999 iMac G3 and it still works flawlessly and relatively quickly (though I'm never at the same speed drawing with a glass of Shiraz at my right hand). I'd upgrade the home computer if it were a problem, but it AC really does run well on the old beast. Kudo's to the GS softwriters and the Apple engineers.

From Djorde's description of the new features it sounds promising - a lot of dead dull productivity enhancements and one or two headliner features. I know I'll gravitate to the productivity enhancements. More time to sample the Shiraz with my wife!
Cameron Hestler, Architect

AC 24 & 25 (3011) / MacMini i7-8700B @ 3.2 GHz / 32GB Ram / 512GB SSD

LG Ultrafine 4K monitor 22" & 27”

Mac OS 11.6 Big Sur