Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

What do you think of the features announced for V9

Anonymous
Not applicable
What do you think of the features announced for V9?
I personally think its just v8.2
Just 5-6 features to excuse a new release
17 REPLIES 17
Dwight
Newcomer
It is a lot "smoother," as one might expect. Cartainly the work surface is much more active with the implementation of object surface sensing where clicking within a slab, say, will select the slab. This function can be toggled since one is often working within the confines of a slab boundary and inadvetent slab selection can occur.

We can always hope for the sophistication of the LightWave [not LightWorks - ArchiCAD's new rendering engine - a NewTek product for modeling and rendering with a really swank shell interface that is totally unlike the Mac OS] GUI.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
8-6-4 for now.

I guess the long list of wishes is just to pass our times, and communicate.
But why am i looking strange at the result? ...{selfcensored..politics not allowed }
Anonymous
Not applicable
Where does Graphisoft keep its 'wish list' ? I have a few that I'd like to add.
Karl Ottenstein
Vitruvius wrote:
I've always found every upgrade thoughtful, well conceived and a boon to productivity. My only caution is that GS not repeat the V8.0 fiasco. I'd rather wait a few more months to get a stable product that I can use with confidence.
Please see my comments here:
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=20338#20338

as well as those of others who have used 9.0 for several months on real projects.

Yes, 8.0R1/V1 was a disaster and GS admitted it.

9.0R1/V1 (unless it has changed from the last beta release) is a solid, stable release and waiting a few months is only delaying your productivity gains IMHO. Projects begun in 8.1 can simply be opened in 9.0 and work continued.

Once you've used 9.0, you'll never want to go back.

None of the people who have posted comments on their experiences with 9.0 are resellers - and so none of us have any financial gain to result from saying what we do. I'll admit, I have a stress reduction benefit ... since as a consultant, it is easier to teach and work with people who are on 9.0 than to fumble with workarounds for all of the new features. 😉

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Vitruvius
Contributor
Well thanks Karl,

For pilloring me as a negative guy.

Cheers (perhaps), Cameron
Cameron Hestler, Architect

AC 24 & 25 (3011) / MacMini i7-8700B @ 3.2 GHz / 32GB Ram / 512GB SSD

LG Ultrafine 4K monitor 22" & 27”

Mac OS 11.6 Big Sur
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
I am just advised that the US price to upgrade is $495.

Chicken feed.
True - except for those of us still forking out private school tuition and doing a grand total of maybe two projects a year on it, especially right at the same time as finally *having* to upgrade formZ, and to their commercial version to boot <sigh>.

I've already owned more versions of Archicad than I've done projects on it, so I'm really wondering if it's worth upgrading again just yet. I still haven't installed the last upgrade I was sent, whatever it was, haven't even looked at it.

I suspect I'll end up doing it anyways.

Wendy
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
let me join you guys after spending some time in a sweet oblivion in Central Europe.

As a beta tester I can say that v9 is really stable (I should say unusually stable as to my big surprise after v8.0 experience), finally delivers standard GUI and so much needed renderer / text tool. I know there are new bits and pieces all over the thing which improve over all performance BUT I suppose the other major problems have not been tackled at all, such as stairs (3rd party solution is a bit risky business), beam geometry limitations etc. Unfortunately some of the new features are not fully implemented throughout the thing (storey visibility for lib parts, different section/plan fills for walls, some tool palettes are not still dockable, Plotmaker is still a shocker not using same k-board shortcuts and procedures).
Talking about version number is in my opinion totally pointless but I agree with v9, it deserves that at least for its new look/GUI capabilities and the renderer which is really fantastic.
::rk
stefan
Expert
Wendy wrote:
Dwight wrote:
I am just advised that the US price to upgrade is $495.

Chicken feed.
True - except for those of us still forking out private school tuition and doing a grand total of maybe two projects a year on it, especially right at the same time as finally *having* to upgrade formZ, and to their commercial version to boot <sigh>.

I've already owned more versions of Archicad than I've done projects on it, so I'm really wondering if it's worth upgrading again just yet. I still haven't installed the last upgrade I was sent, whatever it was, haven't even looked at it.

I suspect I'll end up doing it anyways.

Wendy
I'm not doing any real projects with ArchiCAD anymore, since I'm not into commercial work anymore... So that makes my commercial effort pretty expensive.

Can't you use student versions? And ask the reseller for a good deal for a commercial upgrade. In Belgium, architects can buy ArchiCAD much cheaper during their two years of internship. In my time, I just missed this opportunity, which would have been a saving of about $2500... Damn.

Yes, FormZ is also expensive. Rhino is cheaper, but not sure if it fullfills your requirements.
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book