Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

What do you think should be done to get Archicad a bigger market share ?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I personally find ARCHICAD way more powerful, easy to use, faster and all in all innovative than other solutions like Revit. However since Revit is backed up by Autodesk and long years of Autocad dominance, ARCHICAD isn’t leading in terms of market share, what do you think GRAPHISOFT should do better? Do you think it’s enough for them to just push for a better product ? Or is there something else you would do ?
273 REPLIES 273
jl_lt
Ace
Come on Mr. 2218. The hot hand fallacy also works on the inverse: not because they havent heard in the past means that they wont listen in the future, specially now that there is a new CEO at GS. Dude needs all the technical and moral support he can get.

Anyway, and with all due respect, writing here, or anywhere else for that matter, on the belief that someone will listen our opinion is misguided to say the least. Let the ideas flow freely, even at the risk of repetition and sounding dumb. If something good comes out of it, great, and if not, so be it.
rob2218 wrote:
that's always the classic response...."who is forcing you to (fill in the blank)".

it's never that.
its merely an observation that LONG-WINDED responses will get lost in translation and never sustain interest.
Just sayin'.

And not sure I understand about Marines and sending food? Strange response.
It's a legitimate question, though.
Nobody forces anyone to read anything they don't want to on this forum (or so the theory presupposes).
It's an open discussion in an open forum with users discussing the software they use and the company that makes it, and how it impacts them, and one which anyone is free to take part in and no one will be indicted for declining to.
And I imagine most take the latter option.

Saying it's "merely a an observation" that long-winded responses "get lost in translation" (into what?) and never sustain attention is a matter of opinion, and one that doesn't hold that much weight when and if one considers the original question asked and honestly answer it to themselves.
To anyone who's not interested in the discussion, the length (or brevity) of the responses is a moot point.
And to anyone that is, they still have the freedom to exercise their right to skip right past those "long-winded" responses or ask for clarification if needs be.

The rest of it was merely an attempt at levity - granted at your expense - but still.

I view people who complain...or rather,...who "make observations" about the "long-windedness" and length of responses in open discussion forums in much the same light as I view people who moan about the TV show they're watching and how awful it is, as they're sitting on their couch with the remote control in one hand and the TV channel guide (do they still make those?) in the other.

Now THAT seems to me to be the strange thing for a grown-up adult person to be doing.

But maybe that's just me.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

EDIT : .....and this week, on today's episode of, "Unnecessary censoring by an overly-aggressive comment-board system"™ (which only makes things seem worse by implication), .......we have......
"...a grown-up adult person"
Where the censored word is A dult.
I suppose the fault is mine for redundancy.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
HI everyone,

I want to let you know that I have read through the whole discussion and created a summary of all the suggestions and also included how many times a given suggestion was posted.
I have forwarded the summary to GRAPHISOFT for their information and consideration.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Thank you, Laszlo.

Any little bit helps.
Gestures like this go a long way in restoring people's confidence that their concerns do actually matter (even a little bit) to the powers that be.
qbic-ft
Booster
Every firm I know in US are not happy with Revit, but the reasons why then don't look for options are:
-buying new seats is too expensive.
-BIM managers (most of them are revit) don't want to learn new software and losing their position as Revit Guru and they are the most influencers for the principals/owners to go in one direction.
-So many projects running at the same in different stages with no time to test another app.
-Most new employes only know Revit (very basic by the way) .
-They spend a lot of time developing templates, details, etc for Revit.
jl_lt
Ace
@Mr Qbic

Could You list some of the reasons You have heard on why these companies are not happy with Revit?
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
qbic-ft,

I would also be interested in hearing about why these companies are not happy with Revit.
rob2218
Enthusiast
Companies aren't happy with Revit because it's plain and simple...it's a KLUNKY program, not as smooth as Archicad is YET, GS has never understood the Autodesk American "Gorilla Marketing" tactic.

FLOOD THY MARKET with all manners of approach.
You can't be too kind, too gentle in this dogie-dog world of software and BIM.

Its my understanding from inside sources that GS is indeed a small-compact company with limited, controlled funds.....while Autodesk (of which I hear they have a corporate office right across the street from the GS HQ in Budapest) is a company with a YUGE marketing budget......so I guess that explains that.
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
rob2218 wrote:
.....while Autodesk (of which I hear they have a corporate office right across the street from the GS HQ in Budapest)

From someone who lives in Budapest, and visits GRAPHISOFT HQ regularly:

They don't. GRAPHISOFT is located in GRAPHISOFT Park, and there are no offices of Autodesk there. There are no streets as such in GRAPHISOFT Park, only a few roads and lots of green. There is Microsoft and SAP, and dozens of others, but no Autodesk:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/GRAPHISOFT+SE/@47.5606793,19.0513734,17z/data=!4m12!1m6!3m5!1s0x47...
jl_lt
Ace
rob2218 wrote:
Companies aren't happy with Revit because it's plain and simple...it's a KLUNKY program, not as smooth as Archicad is YET, GS has never understood the Autodesk American "Gorilla Marketing" tactic.

FLOOD THY MARKET with all manners of approach.
You can't be too kind, too gentle in this dogie-dog world of software and BIM.
Mr. Rob2218, i think the term you want to use is "guerrilla" marketing. Autodesk definitely flooded the market with free Revit demo versions that it bundled along its autocad package during the mid 2000´s and begginings of the 2010´s. They did it in Mexico and other Latin American countries, so its safe to guess they did it at a much bigger scale in the USA and other territories. This surely gave them a huge advantage.

Trying to diminish that advantage with ideas and contributions is the whole point of this discussion i think. Lets keep it up!