BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

What do you think should be done to get Archicad a bigger market share ?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I personally find ARCHICAD way more powerful, easy to use, faster and all in all innovative than other solutions like Revit. However since Revit is backed up by Autodesk and long years of Autocad dominance, ARCHICAD isn’t leading in terms of market share, what do you think GRAPHISOFT should do better? Do you think it’s enough for them to just push for a better product ? Or is there something else you would do ?
273 REPLIES 273
Nader Belal
Mentor
@Jp1138

I do not have the answer for that question, may be better for you to ask the port authorities directly.

But what I meant in the previous comment is to shine some light on the fact that:
  • Some organisations may no other solution but to use specific vendor specific platforms
  • There is practically no use of using IFC deliveries if they will put the condition of delivering the original digital files
Just imagine, that I have won that tender, and I have created the required BIM objects as ArchiCAD's GSM library parts, which are functional, compliant with the required standards, and parametric, but how will they use them under their specific conditions !!!!

And what do you think that they will ask afterwords !!!!

I have the documents if you want to check them
A good friend of mine have once told me that I´m so brute that I´m capable of creating a GDL script capable of creating GDLs.
Anonymous
Not applicable
@Moonlight

Yes. In this very specific situation there is no solution than call for proprietary format.
But I think Jp1138 was referring to Architecture Permit procedure. Where the files will only be reviewed by local authorities. In this case, I think IFC is a practical and legal solution for the matter.
Jp1138
Expert
I think IFC files were of no use to them in this particular case the way you describe it, so they should have asked for what they needed. As you say, had you given them IFC and Archicad files, they would have to convert them if the want to use them as parametric objects. Should they make another tender or would they do this work in office? It makes no sense. I suppose you wouldn´t have won the tender in the first place weren´t you using RVT files.

There´s no solution in this case, I´m afraid.
ARCHICAD 27 SPA
Windows 10
Jp1138
Expert
Braza wrote:
@Moonlight

Yes. In this very specific situation there is no solution than call for proprietary format.
But I think Jp1138 was referring to Architecture Permit procedure. Where the files will only be reviewed by local authorities. In this case, I think IFC is a practical and legal solution for the matter.
Yes, that´s what I meant. There are many cases where IFC files are good enough, and some like this one where I think they would be of little use.
ARCHICAD 27 SPA
Windows 10
Nader Belal
Mentor
Just to put my saying into context.

They didn't specify what original vendor specific file format as a deliverable, cause as the Barcelona Sea Port is a public entity, they must follow European Norms and Orders. They only asked to be delivered to them with the IFC files.

But they mentioned, Revit as an Example.

So legally, you could have given them the GSM files ...

But on the other hand I wanted to show here an example of how the laws and procedures can be bended/twisted in one direction or another.
A good friend of mine have once told me that I´m so brute that I´m capable of creating a GDL script capable of creating GDLs.
Jp1138
Expert
Moonlight wrote:

But on the other hand I wanted to show here an example of how the laws and procedures can be bended/twisted in one direction or another.

Yes, every law can be twisted around to a point you may gain nothing fighting it. Public administration must "believe" in the law it is enforced to apply, otherwise it will be for nothing.
ARCHICAD 27 SPA
Windows 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Moonlight wrote:
Very true. This is why the role of Regulators is so important. To prevent unfair commercial practices, specially by the industry giants. (And lately EU is doing a very good job in this matter) Unfortunately, local governments are pretty much permeable to these kind of practices. Governments should do what they are mandated for, which is: Always look for the Public Interest and a fair trade environment.
bouhmidage
Advisor
Does unifying ArchiCAD versions in a simple one multilinguage version makes sense or helps in marketing strategy ? 3ds max comes with 1 installer, including 10 language packs, and you choose the one you want.
the main difference between versions is the template used, and the command languages, and librarie language,
What if GRAPHISOFT gives the users one installer and the user choose the software language,
then, he download the template he wants to use, a template center, and why not users contribute and share settings if they want ( attributes, building materials, layer naming strategies, zone categories, etc) , also user can download the library with the language he wants,
so to conclude,
one installer, multiple inputs ( templates, libraries, favorites etc, )
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 10 GB
Archicad 25
Windows 10 professional
https://www.behance.net/Nuance-Architects
Nader Belal
Mentor
Ok, here is a simple quick idea that Graphisoft can easily implement.

As I have mentioned in this thread PROPOSITION: ADD A REPOSITORY SECTION FOR PAPERS THAT MENTIONS ARCHICAD & GDL, I was surprised by the number of research papers I have found by a totally accidental ways in the last years (I think they were 3), and that without even trying to find them.

But as you all know, if we tried to search for AEC research papers for program application in the industry, the majority of the results we will get are those related to other programs, without mentioning those of the Dark Side of BIM.

And I was more surprised that many of the users here, are totally unaware of the existence of such papers, some of which could have a direct impact on how we do our work with ArchiCAD.

So I ask you all to vote yes on my proposal for PROPOSITION: ADD A REPOSITORY SECTION FOR PAPERS THAT MENTIONS ARCHICAD & GDL as a way to help ArchiCAD not only to gain a bigger market share, but also give all ArchiCAD users more tools to confronts the problems they may face in their work
abdelaziz
Expert
Hi,
highlight the possibilities of collaboration and communication through the BIM model in a single software, with ARCHICAD we do not need another software to perform a point cloud import task for example, with ARCHICAD we do not need any other software to edit a vector drawing, with ARCHICAD we do not need any other software to create a BCF file, one software that does the work of several softwares, and will give you independence total on your intellectual property
AMD Ryzen 5950x
AMD RX 6750xt
AC27
Learn and get certified!