Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

What in "heavens" name does this gibberish mean?

rob2218
Enthusiast
C:\Program Files\GRAPHISOFT\ArchiCAD 18\ArchiCAD.exe
Unused in temporary folder : 506825.7 MB
Duplicated database name "ArchiCAD_Library"
at line 2 in the 2D script of file MASTER_GDL_ArchiCAD_Library.gdl.
OpenGL
Intel Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
Your OpenGL driver supports all necessary extensions.
Vertical Sync: OFF
Z buffer: 24 bits
Per Pixel Lighting: ON, 1.40 - Intel Build 8.15.10.2418
Stencil buffer: 8 bits
OpenGL
Intel Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
Your OpenGL driver supports all necessary extensions.
Vertical Sync: OFF
Z buffer: 24 bits
Per Pixel Lighting: ON, 1.40 - Intel Build 8.15.10.2418
Stencil buffer: 8 bits
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
12 REPLIES 12
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Which part specifically, of said jubberish?
It would be kind of long to explain all, and I guess you only have issue with part of it.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
rob2218
Enthusiast
well, I should have rephrased my statement...it's "giberish" to me...the person who has to try and understand what the software is trying to tell me.

it appears to me that there's some "2D display" not happening where it should. perhaps there's an object looking for some libray image/part that it cant' find...dunno....but that's what I'm trying to figure out so I can get rid of this message.
laszlonagy wrote:
Which part specifically, of said jubberish?
It would be kind of long to explain all, and I guess you only have issue with part of it.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
If you mean this:
Duplicated database name "ArchiCAD_Library"
at line 2 in the 2D script of file MASTER_GDL_ArchiCAD_Library.gdl.
There are probably duplicate library parts in your libraries. If you go to the Library Manager and remove all your duplicates from your libraries then I think this message will disappear. You won't even need to know what it means. All you need to know is that your libraries should never include duplicates and if they do the situation should be remedied.
The Help files contain info about what these duplicate messages mean and what to do.
rob2218
Enthusiast
Thank you.
I'm always nervous to "remove duplicate' library parts cause I'm always thinking I'm removing that one part that something in the file is looking for and when I remove "that", then it makes it even worse.

Wish there was a "consolidate duplicate library parts" command so that all objects that were the same could be merged into 'one'.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
rob2218 wrote:
Thank you.
I'm always nervous to "remove duplicate' library parts cause I'm always thinking I'm removing that one part that something in the file is looking for and when I remove "that", then it makes it even worse.

Wish there was a "consolidate duplicate library parts" command so that all objects that were the same could be merged into 'one'.
ARCHICAD cannot consolidate them because it doesn't know which version you need. Only you know that and only you can decide that. So unfortunately, this will remain in the realm and responsibility of the user, I suspect.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
rob2218 wrote:
Thank you.

On the contrary, you should be nervous when there ARE duplicates. In that case you never know which version ARCHICAD is using. Let's say two versions have two different 2Ds. You think one is used but the other is used and you don't check. Then the documentation goes out and turns out the other version is used in it.
So it is very prudent to never have duplicates in your projects and when there is one, resolve it immediately.

ARCHICAD cannot consolidate them because it doesn't know which version you need. Only you know that and only you can decide that. So unfortunately, this will remain in the realm and responsibility of the user, I suspect.
rob2218
Enthusiast
Well Lasz,
i've always appreciated your help.
Unfortunately in the "real" world....we have no time to be checking on duplicate objects, considering most PLN files are years old, worked on by someone else, have been butchered up, whatever the case may be, there's no time, none at all to check for dup objects.

But I do appreciate your help in addressing this matter.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
We disagree on this. I think it is important to make time for these kinds of things to put the project file in good working order and keep it that way.

I remember I once looked at another person's PLN file who was also working in our office. I was also a file coming from earlier versions, went through a few people, stuff like that.
The file was only a few megabytes, but it took minutes for it to open.
Started to check things and it turned out its libraries were a complete nightmare, multiple versions of the same library loaded, lots of duplicates, etc. Took about 1.5-2 hours to clean it up but after that the file open in fraction of the time and performed much faster afterwards.
Just think of how much time it wasted for all those people who did not have the time to clean it up. And then I am not even talking about the inability to tell which version of duplicates will be used.
So I do believe one should find the time to keep Project files in good order.
rob2218
Enthusiast
I am a whole-hearted believer in what you state about "file cleaning"..................and I try my utmost to have the files "clean" but.......the reality of the matter is that when you have architects who can't justify time spent on "file maintenance and cleanliness"...well if it were me "Large and in-charge" I'd certainly do it but I'm not the one running this ship here...I'm just the "get in done" boy.....that's it.
I've tried and tried time again to emphasize that files need to be clean, efficient, well maintained etc.....but after a while it's like I'm tying ot fight a hurricane force wind by blowing out of a straw...........just to no avail. But I agree file maintenance is key, just try and convince that ot the folks that pay you and don't want to be convinced otherwise.
laszlonagy wrote:
We disagree on this. I think it is important to make time for these kinds of things to put the project file in good working order and keep it that way.

I remember I once looked at another person's PLN file who was also working in our office. I was also a file coming from earlier versions, went through a few people, stuff like that.
The file was only a few megabytes, but it took minutes for it to open.
Started to check things and it turned out its libraries were a complete nightmare, multiple versions of the same library loaded, lots of duplicates, etc. Took about 1.5-2 hours to clean it up but after that the file open in fraction of the time and performed much faster afterwards.
Just think of how much time it wasted for all those people who did not have the time to clean it up. And then I am not even talking about the inability to tell which version of duplicates will be used.
So I do believe one should find the time to keep Project files in good order.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23