Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

What is a "pen function"

Anonymous
Not applicable
In the help menu it says

"Since each pen index number has a distinct function definition, it is worth paying attention to the pen function when assigning a pen to an element. (Or you can simply use the default element pens that are shipped with ArchiCAD.) If you assign pen index numbers consistent with the function of the element, then switching from one pen set to the other will ensure a consistent display that is in line with the purpose of your output."

Can some on tell me what a pen function is
5 REPLIES 5
TomWaltz
Participant
It's what you are using the pen for. Slabs, steel beams, chairs, tiles, bricks, text.... whatever it is you want to use a pen for.
Tom Waltz
__archiben
Booster
Mo wrote:
Can some on tell me what a pen function is
it's the use of a specific pen for a specific purpose. for example - i use specific pens for the different service runs (drainage, sewage, stormwater, etc), different wall sheathing types, slab edges, etc, etc . . .

it means that different pensets can be assigned to the same basic view with greatly differing output results: i.e. all wall sheathing pens can be mapped to white and the slab edge pen-weight boosted; or all pens except stormwater turned to grey; or . . ? the variations are endless . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
to follow up on this since I am currently working out what my pens sets will be (new user)

I was thinking I'd go through and set up ranges of pens for various functions as suggested, but I'm wondering about all the existing library objects - is there any internal logic that's already set up for the (multiple) pens they each use?

If I set up my own pens set, it seems that I might have to change each and everyone to match what I come up with. I've heard that I should leave pen 91 alone for this reason - are there other "standard" pens that I should leave alone?

thanks!!
TomWaltz
Participant
Chris wrote:
I was thinking I'd go through and set up ranges of pens for various functions as suggested, but I'm wondering about all the existing library objects - is there any internal logic that's already set up for the (multiple) pens they each use?
Pens 1 and 91 seem pretty sacred.... beyond that, I don't know if anyone has come up with a logic. The libraries change with each release, so unless you plan on changing your standards each release, you may as well make one that makes sense to you.
Tom Waltz
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
There's been a lot of discussion on this in the past. Try doing a search and you will see other people's approcches. It might save you a lot of headaches.

Here'sone such thread...

Cheers,
Link.

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!