BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

What would be the best and easiest way to create this design

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm not great at archicad so anything other than buildings with straight walls and whatnot i have a little trouble with but i like some of archicad's features so i continue to use it.
I want to model something like this image if i can. the cheat way i'm trying to do it is to basically create an inverted roof but if there's a proper way to do it that would be great.

The second question which relates to creating an inverted roof, is something I've had trouble with and that's why can't you rotate an object, vertically? No matter how i set the plane it only rotates horizontally along the x-axis and the only way it will let me do it is if i convert an object to a morph but the trouble with that is that you lose the ability to modify the object because it's no longer an object.

http://www.fscm.net.au/projects/retail-projects/northland-entertainment-precinct-extension/#
1 REPLY 1
Barry Kelly
baz88 wrote:
I'm not great at archicad so anything other than buildings with straight walls and whatnot i have a little trouble with but i like some of archicad's features so i continue to use it.
I want to model something like this image if i can. the cheat way i'm trying to do it is to basically create an inverted roof but if there's a proper way to do it that would be great.
You can't do this with a multi-plane roof - pitch must always be greater than 1°.
But you can do it with a single plane roof.
Just set a negative angle or when placing the the roof use a positive angle but be sure to place the upward pitch direction in the correct direction.

baz88 wrote:
The second question which relates to creating an inverted roof, is something I've had trouble with and that's why can't you rotate an object, vertically? No matter how i set the plane it only rotates horizontally along the x-axis and the only way it will let me do it is if i convert an object to a morph but the trouble with that is that you lose the ability to modify the object because it's no longer an object.
If you search when in the object settings you should find an object called "Rotator" in BIMcomponents.
This will allow you to rotate a default object in any direction but you woon't be able to set any parameters for the object.

The solution is to alter the object as you want it and then convert to morph as you have done.
You can resave it as an object but it won't have the original parameters.

The best solution involves som GDL scripting. by adding some ROT (rotate) commands in your 3D script - you will also need to alter your 2D script if you want a true plan representation.
Search in these forums for "rotaet object" and I am sure there wuill be more details.

Another possibility may be 'Objective' by CADimage.
I think this will allow you to rotate objects as well (also any other element - walls, slabs, etc.) but I can't recall if you retain the original object parameters or not - I've never used it.

http://www.cadimage.com/Products/Tools/Objective

It is not free but I think you can download a free trial of it (and all their other tools).

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Learn and get certified!