Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Where is this purple color coming from?

I am drawing an existing house, and cannot figure out where this purple color is coming from. It is clear that it is related to the surfaces on the walls, since I can override them with other colors. Right now the purple corresponds to the "GENERAL" material. But I have no purple pens or any other purple materials or surfaces that I can find. Nothing in 3D view filters, or renovation overrides. This is really my first project in 19. Is the GENERAL surface purple now? What am I missing?

Purple.jpg
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
20 REPLIES 20
Okay, I tracked it down to the uncut line pen. I think there is a bug here, because the color is not updating properly. (I didn't have any purple pens. I did originally, but changed the color to black.)
Richard
Eduardo Rolon
Check also your Filter and Cut Plane Settings to see if you don't have an override there.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Erwin Edel
Rockstar
My guess is that it is an override from the renovation filter.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Erwin wrote:
My guess is that it is an override from the renovation filter.
Thanks. That was my first guess, too, but that wasn't it. I also had checked Eduardo's suggestion, and it was set to a black pen.

My other hunch is that background processing may have gotten turned off somehow, and I will check after I get back to the office.
Richard
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
You say it's the first one in 19, from which version did you go up to 19 with this project?
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Erwin wrote:
You say it's the first one in 19, from which version did you go up to 19 with this project?
Jumped from 17, skipping over 18. I've been using AC since 1998 or so, though. (v 6.0)
Richard
DGSketcher
Legend
I had some objects which I migrated to a project where the surface material was missing, the image rendered the missing material surfaces with the outline pen. Have you checked you material assignments?
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
David Shorter
Advisor
I get it when I'm using the current version, opening an old file and the texture is missing.
somethingWrongHere2.jpg
Archicad 4.1 to 27 Apple Silicon
you can't build a line
Mac Studio
iPad Pro
iPhone
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Richard wrote:
Erwin wrote:
Jumped from 17, skipping over 18. I've been using AC since 1998 or so, though. (v 6.0)
I know you're a veteran , as you are posting here for many years, helping others.

Did you try to merge the surfaces with the new ArchiCAD 19 template? ArchiCAD18 introduced cinerender, which means they have redone all the materials (now called surfaces) to take benefit from the cinerender engine (it replaced lightworks). Some of the 'new' cinerender surfaces did not match with the old (17 and before) materials at all in the Dutch library/template. We had to redo our template completely with ArchiCAD18. I noticed things like whitewash finish turning into different colour material finishes too. There is, I think, a 'core' of say 50-100 materials that stayed the same like glass, bricks, wood, grass, water and then there is another batch of things that got changed, so there is no one to one ratio of similar surfaces.

Hope this makes sense.

If you are using the ArchiCAD19 library, for example, you would be missing textures from the ArchiCAD17 library, unless you redid the surfaces.

If you want to do a full overhaul, what I would do is: purge all unused surfaces with attribute manager, this should hopefully leave you with maybe 20-25 surfaces in use, at best. Import one surface with a high indexnumber and then duplicate all the surfaces in use, so they have a very high indexnumber. Delete and replace the original surfaces with the new duplicates. You should now have an empty register of the low indexnumbers used by template, now import all those surfaces with attribute manager. You can now delete and replace the old duplicates with something similar matching in the newly imported template surfaces.
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5