Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Why Isn't This Fixed Yet!?(curved edges of 3D parts in elev)

Anonymous
Not applicable
For years I have just turned a blind eye to the fact that ArchiCAD seems absolutely incapable of displaying curved edges of 3D parts in elevation. Finally got 17 (upgraded from 13) & just KNEW they HAD to have fixed it by now. So disappointed. I just can't believe this hasn't been fixed. Is there some setting somewhere I'm missing? The attached picture is the end of a grab bar in elevation view (GS's ADA Toilet part)

Mac OSX10.7/Dual2.4/8gb/AC17

Screen Shot 2013-10-04 at 10.48.38 AM.png
8 REPLIES 8
Eduardo Rolon
+1
Screen Shot 2013-10-04 at 6.16.00 PM.png
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

If You look under the hood...You will know why...

The Section & Elevation representation is a model view not symbolic view as plan with all advantages and disadvantages.
(Hint: explode any curvy object to morph - and You will see how the AC world is constructed under the hood)

Best Regards,
Piotr
Anonymous
Not applicable
Also, if you have a nice "curvy" crown mold (or anything curvy) and you turn it into a complex profile, it changes to lines.
Anonymous
Not applicable
If You look under the hood...You will know why...
It still needs to be fixed. Especially for the Complex profiles. A $,$$$ CAD program that can't display/compute curves properly in this day & age? Pretty lame. C'mon GS, tell me you've got a plan for this.
fuzzytnth3
Booster
Be nice if you adjust the length of that horizontal handrail as well. The other handrail can be adjusted so why not that one?
AC versions 3.41 to 25 (UKI Full 5005).
Using AC25 5005 UKI FULL
Mac OSX 10.15.7 (19G2021) Mac Pro-2013 32gbRam AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB graphics
matjashka
Enthusiast
Mike,

In your specific case it can be fixed by adding extra code to cut an actual hole in the wall plate (a.k.a. escutcheon). The hole should be just a tiny bit larger than the diameter of the grab bar.
This does not fix the curve resolution/rendering problem but it will fix the elevation view.

EDIT: well, I mean, this trick will do it for the front view. The side view will still lack the curve.

HTH.
Matt Krol [LinkedIn]
BHMS Architects and Planners, Chicago
AC 10 ... 26 USA
Mike,

Can you tell me what object that is and show a 3D screen capture of the configuration. I don't have that issue in an object I created that is similar but I am aware of the problem when using HPRISM_'s... very frustrating.
There is also a way of setting a resolution control for the curve of a path; just use "for n = 0 to 90 step (360/(100/resolution))" or something like that.
Creator of Cadswift's parametric GDL libraries
Creator of Infinite Openings and Component Catalogues
Push the envelope & watch it bend
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/CADSwift/playlists
Anonymous
Not applicable
ejrolon wrote:
+1
Looking at "WC disabled 17" INT library part, I have found some problems.

Grab bars are made of prism tool + revolve tool for elbows. Not a surprise if contour lines don't show.
Why GS did not use the tube tool for this, is really strange.

Resolution of grab bars only concerns elbow path. There is no setting for resolution of tube profile,
Which is 36 by default. A simple resol statement with a dedicated parameter could do the trick.

Not any hotspot for dimensioning grab bars. This is annoying.

There is a grab bar in AC17 INT library, scripted with tube tool, alas, it is bugged.
Both in 2D (hotspots with grab bar rotated at 90°) & 3D (lack of control for resolution of tube profile).

This is so easy to fix, I hope GS can do that.