BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Why do some surfaces have an asterisk next to their name?

Bill
Contributor
I've looked all over and don't see what this signifies...

Thanks

Bill
Bill Szustak RA

Principal, Springboard Design

ArchiCAD 25, macOS Ventura 13.4.1
9 REPLIES 9
Karl Ottenstein
Screenshot showing where you see this?
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Bill
Contributor
Here you go...
Bill Szustak RA

Karl Ottenstein
I see that now ... in the AC 19 US Template. (Please post the version in which you found an issue when bringing something like this up in the future.)

Attribute Manager shows the same asterisk suffix... so it is truly part of the Surface name and not a flag to indicate something dynamically special about the surface. (I had thought that perhaps it indicated "in use" like the checkmark in Attribute Manager - but it's not.)

I've no clue why these things got named that way. If I were to guess, I guess it is a release error by Graphisoft... surfaces that were supposed to be verified in some way after which the asterisk would be removed?

Does anyone with a non-US release of 19 (e.g., INT) see these same names?
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Tried the demo of 19 for mac...no asterisks..
Karl Ottenstein
Rlcosta wrote:
Tried the demo of 19 for mac...no asterisks..
Thanks for checking. Must be a US template glitch. I'll contact support.
Bill
Contributor
Thanks for the responses... I was going crazy searching everywhere trying to figure out what they meant!

Bill
Bill Szustak RA

Karl Ottenstein
I'm told that we'll get some info on this next week.
Ransom Ratcliff
Enthusiast
Friends,

Admittedly, the asterisk is an undocumented feature. (There are others because we ran out of time.)

The asterisk indicates the first 48 surfaces by index. These surfaces (formerly materials) have been in ArchiCAD for so long that they have become a Graphisoft Standard. All the ArchiCAD Libraries going back to at least 4.55 depend on the character of these surfaces and default to them by index number.

So the asterisk indicates that the user should not change the essential character of these surfaces. I.e. don't make glass look like brick or all the window glass in the library will have brick surfaces by default.

However, all the surfaces can be edited to make them look better or even be renamed. Indeed, all the surfaces were reengineered for the two US 19 default templates in order to make them look much better in OpenGL and to make the OpenGL and CineRender results, match each other in terms of unit sizing and color.

BTW, another undocumented and incomplete feature is the colon at the end of composite names. We were developing an NCS wall label that would display whatever was added after the colon. That way, the user could simply add a letter or number code to the name and it would display in the automatic label. The key here was that the wall type, rather than its user ID, would drive the associated labels. Alas, our label did not make it through final approval. But we expect something soon.
Ransom Ratcliff
RATCLIFF CONSULTING LLC
Charrette Venture Group
ArchiCAD 4.55 - 26
Autodesk Certified Professional in Revit
macOS + Windows
Anonymous
Not applicable
COOL - I like that 🙂
Ransom wrote:
Friends,

Admittedly, the asterisk is an undocumented feature. (There are others because we ran out of time.)

The asterisk indicates the first 48 surfaces by index. These surfaces (formerly materials) have been in ArchiCAD for so long that they have become a Graphisoft Standard. All the ArchiCAD Libraries going back to at least 4.55 depend on the character of these surfaces and default to them by index number.

So the asterisk indicates that the user should not change the essential character of these surfaces. I.e. don't make glass look like brick or all the window glass in the library will have brick surfaces by default.

However, all the surfaces can be edited to make them look better or even be renamed. Indeed, all the surfaces were reengineered for the two US 19 default templates in order to make them look much better in OpenGL and to make the OpenGL and CineRender results, match each other in terms of unit sizing and color.

BTW, another undocumented and incomplete feature is the colon at the end of composite names. We were developing an NCS wall label that would display whatever was added after the colon. That way, the user could simply add a letter or number code to the name and it would display in the automatic label. The key here was that the wall type, rather than its user ID, would drive the associated labels. Alas, our label did not make it through final approval. But we expect something soon.
Learn and get certified!