BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Why does AC stretch my walls?

Kamelite
Enthusiast
Like the title says, how come AC assume that I want the wall to extend to the far-side of the wall (see Picture)

In this Picture I stop the wall when it hits the adjacent wall, but AC extends it to the other side of the wall. Why? I know the problem can be solved by changing the material strength, but that would cause other issues. And yes, I can make a copy of the wall and change the material strength...

The thick one is concrete, and the thin one is insulateted interior wall by the way.

But the qustion remains - why does archicad by default extend the walls past the point where they meet and to the far side of the wall?

.Kamelite

why.jpg
Windows 10, Archicad 27
2 REPLIES 2
NCornia
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Kamelite,

ArchiCAD likes to intersect elements when they touch. You can turn off Auto Intersection by going to Options > Auto Intersection

It helps to understand the location of the Reference Lines. When Reference Lines touch that is when walls create intersection conditions.
Help Center - Wall Reference Line
Auto Intersection is discussed here: Help Center - Beams and Other Elements (but it affects walls too)

I hope this helps.

Best regards,
Nicholas Cornia
Technical Support Team - GRAPHISOFT North America
ARCHICAD on Twitter
Tutorials
GRAPHISOFT Help Center
Barry Kelly
Also you can trim walls to the edges that you want them to trim to rather than letting Archicad decide automatically for you.

Make sure your wall tool is active, SHIFT-click to select the wall you want to extend/trim and then CTRL-click on the edge of the other wall (or any other edge/line) that you want that wall to stop at.
If the selected wall it too short it will extend and if it is already too long it will split and you can delete the bit you don't want.

This way you can leave auto-intersect on for the majority of your walls and just control the few walls that you need to manually.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Learn and get certified!