BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Why is this so hard?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm trying to create a detailed object (woodwork) by adding dowels to show construction method.

I've created the profiles with OBJECTiVE, but I didn't realise that you cannot SEO on these tools.

I've tried a complex profile (wall) but because part of the woodwork is curved and the way in which walls work, the curves are slightly jagged.

How would you go about creating a similar object to the attachment, ensuring that you can SEO them to create holes for the dowels whilst ensure perfect curved contours?

It's very frustrating that such a simple operation cannot be done. Am I using the wrong tool?

Thank you
4 REPLIES 4
Eduardo Rolon
Why not convert the Objective objects to Morphs?
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
ejrolon wrote:
Why not convert the Objective objects to Morphs?
That's exactly what I just did before coming back here!!!

It worked perfectly. I'm taking this into C4D for rendering so it's important that I can get it done as simply as possible... I don't know how to model in C4D.

So pleased this worked. What if I had an earlier version of ArchiCAD? Would there be another solution?

Also, how could I slightly smooth off the edges so they are not so sharp? I've tried the "Soft Edges" options but that's too much. The 3D pet palette to Chamer/Fillet also just makes weird distortions and doesn't smooth out the edges.

Thank you
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Designernat wrote:
I've created the profiles with OBJECTiVE, but I didn't realise that you cannot SEO on these tools.
SEO should work fine with any parts from OBJECTiVE. I tried the file you sent and the SEO worked exactly as expected.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Anonymous
Not applicable
To break the edges just use a bit of virtual sand paper. If I understand your intent, I would place something at 45 degrees to the corner and use SEO to chamfer the edge. I find a very small one (1.5mm or less) usually does the trick, but then I like hard, square edges on my furniture. Perhaps in reaction to all the crap here in the states that's been hit with the round over bit.
Learn and get certified!