BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Why isn't Graphisoft promoting this story more?

B.I.G. (Bjarke Ingels) switches to ArchiCAD.

http://blog.bimequity.com/2014/03/11/big-bim-for-konceptuelle-tegnestuer/

(need to translate from the original Danish to English but the gist of it is they made the decision to switch from Revit to ArchiCAD).

A snippet.....

"The choice of BIM software had fallen in Revit, the architects seem too restrictive and hard to tie in with sketching. At the same time, it was difficult to implement and develop a good workflow between Rhino and Revit. In order to take advantage of the obvious benefits of BIM, BIG has now decided to change Revit out with ArchiCAD on the company's new projects. ArchiCAD is a more flexible BIM tool, developed by architects for architects with a focus on graphic design and a built-in library of general building: It makes it much faster for BIG, using ArchiCAD as a design tool.

..... "Where we 4 years ago believed that everything should be in one BIM program, we are now convinced that there are many specific tools, each of which addresses specific sub-tasks in the best way. "ArchiCAD is specialized for architects, but can be linked to other programs, such as the engineers used to develop the models.""

I saw the story on LinkedIN a couple of days ago and hoped that it would have caught up with the Graphisoft people by now and not even the Facebook page is promoting it.

You would think that company with the type of PR issues that GS sometimes seems to have (especially in North America) would jump on a story like this and promote the heck out of it, but you would be wrong.

BIG are a well-renowned and well-respected and talented young firm that does a lot of dynamic designs and could arguable be considered to be in the "starchitect" category of Super-firms that tend to get short-listed for major design projects.
And they are very design oriented, experimental (or experimentative), daring and generally forward-thinking.

So this isn't the kind of PR and press that comes around that often which is why it's all the more surprising that there's not a single mention of this in any of the primary Graphisoft channels of communication (including this one) of a story like this.
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
+1
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi guys. I'm happy you like the article. I think GRAPHISOFT is already preparing something 🙂

Cheers, Thomas
NandoMogollon
Advocate
Yep it sounds great.
I'm working in a project where BIG is the design company and we're the architect of record.
We're using Revit and I can tell you how much I have missed AC in this one in particular.
I think they will remain multi-software, I doubt they will completely replace Revit, at least in their New York office.
Maybe they will move to AC in their Copenhagen and Beijing office?

Best Regards
Nando Mogollon
Director @ BuilDigital
nando@buildigital.com.au
Using, Archicad Latest AU and INT. Revit Latest (have to keep comparing notes)
More and more... IFC.js, IFCOpenShell
All things Solibri and BIMCollab
Anonymous
Not applicable
Learn and get certified!