BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Why it is so hard to select objects in Archicad ?

kosta
Booster

Hi ! 

How can I select objects with magnet icon (for move), maybe some hotkey like "Q" when snapping, in other words to make magnet appear when I want and not search for tiny areas inside objects to make that magnet finally appear.

I don't see a logic by which it decides when object is selectable and when it is not, sometimes rightmost wall is easily selectable sometimes leftmost, sometimes bottom.

uploading video 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Gerry Leonor
Advisor

i don't find it difficult to select anything in AC, although, to be honest i find other people & their selection methods slightly cringey to watch. probably a personal bias.

personally, i have my Magnet always turned off & space bar toggles it on/off. i have my Selection Method set to Direction Dependent. i try not to guess where the nodes are located, but instead use the Direction Dependent method to select one or multiple items. screenshot below.

GerryLeonor_0-1639109406993.png

when selecting an element solely to move it somewhere else, i rarely every just select-&-drag. i always select, [move shortcut], reposition to new location, click to confirm location.

I've also got my Line Drawing set to CAD-like:

GerryLeonor_1-1639109437268.png

AC25 | Win10 | 64 bit | 16Gb RAM |Intel i7 8700 @ 3.20Ghz

come join our unofficial Discord server
https://discord.gg/XGHjyvutt8

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Holding space bar will activate/deactivate the magnet while being held. I have the magnet always on and only toggle it off with spacebar when needed to look past what is hovering.

Objects can only be found by a fill or nodes unless hotlines were written into the code.

@SenecaDesignLLC wrote:

I have the magnet always on and only toggle it off with spacebar when needed to look past what is hovering.

Funny how people work differently.

I prefer to have the magnet off by default so I can simply click in a empty space and let go of what is selected.

So I can click over a slab or roof area and not have it select.

Yes I could could press ESC but I am not an old Autocad user so never had that ingrained in me.

No extra keyboard keys for me if I don't have to.

Only if I need to select a surface with I press the spacebar - and that is a big key so i don't have to look. 😉

I find I select mainly by nodes and edges rather than surfaces, probably because we never had the quick select magnet when I first started (if my memory serves me correctly).

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

That is so interesting, I am an old autocad user.

But I have a gamepad so I love mapping commands to generate less clicks over all.

Oddly enough Archicad has broke me of the multiple escape key hits and ultimately because of where I have my zoom set if I need to click off something it click off to the side of the screen.

But I don't use a mouse I use a pen tablet screen where I use a stylus and touch where I want to click which ultimately makes it really fast and easy to click off of something with the dead space around.

Solution
Gerry Leonor
Advisor

i don't find it difficult to select anything in AC, although, to be honest i find other people & their selection methods slightly cringey to watch. probably a personal bias.

personally, i have my Magnet always turned off & space bar toggles it on/off. i have my Selection Method set to Direction Dependent. i try not to guess where the nodes are located, but instead use the Direction Dependent method to select one or multiple items. screenshot below.

GerryLeonor_0-1639109406993.png

when selecting an element solely to move it somewhere else, i rarely every just select-&-drag. i always select, [move shortcut], reposition to new location, click to confirm location.

I've also got my Line Drawing set to CAD-like:

GerryLeonor_1-1639109437268.png

AC25 | Win10 | 64 bit | 16Gb RAM |Intel i7 8700 @ 3.20Ghz

come join our unofficial Discord server
https://discord.gg/XGHjyvutt8

I always have selection method direction dependant as well. Saves a ton of time.

I also use cad like for line drawing

kosta
Booster

Ok thanks to everyone who contributed , too bad it just cant be selected like with simple click on it 

it always looking for something else to do, but now it's better.

Learn and get certified!