Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Winder stairs with Stairmaker (ArchiCad 8.1)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

Alot of the jobs that we do require a winder stair.

In Australia the building code states that the quater landing may include 3 winders, each winding 30°. Is there any way of creating this stair in Stairmaker? Every time that I try and create this type of stair using "L-Run winder at upper end" it rotates the last riser coming out of the winder and also keeps telling me that the solid stair slabs do not intersect. It seems as if Stairmaker is not capable of offering this service.

Thanks

Stairmaker.jpg
15 REPLIES 15
Stephen Dolbee
Booster
Michael wrote:
Hi,It seems as if Stairmaker is not capable of offering this service.
Unfortunately, it's not. We also frequently use winders and we have never been able to get the desired result. I usually use slabs for the winders and straight-run stairs to and from them. Time consuming, but the only way I can make them the way they are built.

Steve
AC19(9001), 27" iMac i7, 12 gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb, OS 10.12.6
Djordje
Ace
Stephen wrote:
Michael wrote:
Hi,It seems as if Stairmaker is not capable of offering this service.
Unfortunately, it's not. We also frequently use winders and we have never been able to get the desired result. I usually use slabs for the winders and straight-run stairs to and from them. Time consuming, but the only way I can make them the way they are built.
Tried ArchiStairs?
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Steve .... thanks for that .... it is what I ended up doing. It is a little slower and unfortunately the handrails get to be a pain .... oh well.

Djordje .... I knew that you could get add ons that do a better job than Stairmaker but it is difficult to get the company to spend the additional money on "productivity tools" when the program really should have been able to preform this task to start with. If I recall correctly it has been a problem for a number of versions ..... I would have thought that it would have been rectified .... oh well you can only dream .... or spend more on upgrades.

Michael
Fabrizio Diodati
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Just my two cents on the desk...

I'm just a bit astonished: we released till now 15.000 ArchiStair free-of-charge (that means no additional cost for the users) but it seems to me that they never reached the users... where they are?

Friendly
Fabrizio
Fabrizio Diodati
Graphisoft Italy Srl | Via Rossignago 2/A Spinea Venezia 30038 Italy
Djordje
Ace
Michael wrote:
Djordje .... I knew that you could get add ons that do a better job than Stairmaker but it is difficult to get the company to spend the additional money on "productivity tools" when the program really should have been able to preform this task to start with.
Just to point out that ArchiStairs are (were?) free.

I do agree that StairMaker is way overdue for a rehaul or, better, replacement ...
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Fabrizio Diodati
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Just to point out that ArchiStairs are (were?) free.
Just to be clear and honest:

We released more than 15000 ArchiStair free of charge (once again I hope they reached the users! ) all over the world.
Some Distributors decided to provide them only to ArchiCAD 9 users others provided them to any ArchiCAD 8.x user.

Now we will start to sell it just like the other add-ons...
I hope anybody will fell himself... "betrayed"!

Let me say that one of the thing convinced us to start to sell it is that providing something free-of-charge it really more difficult than sell it!

Friendly
Fabrizio
Fabrizio Diodati
Anonymous
Not applicable
I was burned by add-ons that refused to work with the next AC upgrade (window and door maker from some NZ wizard and cabinet maker , $500+ site modelers worth sh*t). I warn all potential users to stay away from add-ons.

ADVICE:
If GS is not capable producing a
Fabrizio Diodati
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
I'm really sorry you are not happy with addons.

But let me say we always produced and released free of charge all the compatibility add-ons (I mean the versions needed for using the add-on with the newest ArchiCAD version): our add-ons for ArchiCAD 9 have been released before ArchiCAD 9!!!

So please, don't suggest something like this...

Friendly
Fabrizio
Fabrizio Diodati
Vitruvius
Contributor
I'd refute AA's caution regarding Add-Ons.

I've been using Cigraphs Add-Ons for about 3 years with satisfaction. Upgrades are available whenever AC releases a new version and any bugs or problems are usually promptly addressed by Fabrizio.

Let's face it, AC is a great programme but there are areas where Add-On's provide a time & money saving solution. Like anything else, its worth ascertaining whether your add-on has been designed by an individual or by a company with the commensurate research and support capacity.

Cheers,
Cameron
Cameron Hestler, Architect

AC 24 & 25 (3011) / MacMini i7-8700B @ 3.2 GHz / 32GB Ram / 512GB SSD

LG Ultrafine 4K monitor 22" & 27”

Mac OS 11.6 Big Sur