Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Window surrounds, cills etc

Anonymous
Not applicable
What is the best way to model window surrounds, cills etc please?

In Revit, I'd create parametric families (multiple repetitions/variations of) or model in place (one off instances).

I'd had a brief look at this from the NBS but not dived in until I'd done a little more in archicad:

https://www.nationalbimlibrary.com/library-part-maker

Attached is the front elevation to give an indication of what I'd like to model
10 REPLIES 10
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
I don't see your attachment, but depending on level of detail needed I either use the options availabe in the door and window objects for sills, lintels and trim and what not.

If these fall short of what I try to achieve, I will sometimes us complex profile walls/beams/collumns/slabs on a separate layer with a different intersection group number of the layer that the wall hosting the door/window is on (to avoid unwanted intersections).
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for your reply Erwin, the image should be attached now.

Is there an option within the window families for stone and/or brick cills? I used the tool for adding a stone head but the cill seemed to relate to the cill of the window.
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Not sure about the options for your library, but you might have some luck using the jamb / casework option on the outside to mimick what is needed. If it needs to be 'fancy', I would probably model these seperately.
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
There are also some objects you might use for this in the object library, but they might be limited in what you can achieve.
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks. I'm completely new to creating anything from scratch in archicad.

Can you create an object and save it for repeat/future use or do I need to learn about GDL?
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
You can save anything as an object (2D fills, lines, 3D elements) or as a module.

Given the picture you shared, if you are re-creating the building for a renovation, I would say the repeating isn't that much, so you might opt for just copying the elements around so you can adjust on the fly.
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Barry Kelly
If you don't have objects to do these sort of surrounds, then you could possibly make them with morphs directly on the elevation/3D model.

Or probably easier to create them with complex profile walls or beams in plan (lying flat).
Also use slabs, roofs or other tools to get the shapes you need.
Then convert to morphs (edit some more if you need to), rotate to stand them up and reposition them to where they are needed.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks to you both (especially for the summary of options/alternatives Barry), I'll try those out and see what works out best.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
ARCHICAD has a full playlist of 55 clips on YouTube that is about object creation:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF7F4FC644EFC4889

I think if you watch the whole playlist and follow the exercises, you will be pretty knowledgable about it by the time you get to the end of it.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27