Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Window that does not through entire wall

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all

Is there a way to create a window that does not go through the entire wall?
I have a wall composite that comprises of EXT 16mm corrugation, 35mm horizontal battens, 90mm stud, 13mm plasterboard INT.

I want to create a series of windows in the walls where every alternating window only punches through to the 35mm horizontal battens, NOT through the stud and plasterboard. The design being that there is a "fake" window every 2nd window, so it looks like a continuous series of windows from the outside, but on the inside, every second window just appears as wall.

Any thoughts?

Ben
5 REPLIES 5
Barry Kelly
I don't think so with the standard window objects.
You can play with the reveal settings but I don't think they will completely fill the entire opening without error messages.

I would just add a separate wall the same size as the opening.
Create a new composite of just the stud and plasterboard.
Set the end lines of the skins to a thick white line (at least the same thickness as the original skin end lines).
Place these new walls in a separate layer and give this layer an intersection priority number that is different to the main wall layer.
This way the walls will not automatically connect and the white end line will show.
Bring to front so it sits over the main wall and window.

If stretched to exactly the same size as the window then the end line of the window should be hidden in plan by the white end lines and the surfaces should all merge in elevation (3D) so you se no joining lines.

Down-side is it is not automatic when you resize the windows.
But unless you want to get into GDL scripting this is the best I can think of.

Barry.
window_blocked.jpg
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Lingwisyer
Guru
In that example, you've just "bricked" over the window? Guess that's easier than creating two walls and using empty openings.

Regarding the thought of GDL, that would require the window to recognise the different layers of the wall composite and a way to have Wallhole only punch select layers? Though within the window options there's the option to have a wall insert and I'm assuming that doesn't use Wallhole. Not sure how Wallniche works so that might be an option, but there's still the the issue or recognising the layers...

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Barry Kelly
Lingwisyer wrote:
In that example, you've just "bricked" over the window? Guess that's easier than creating two walls and using empty openings.

Regarding the thought of GDL, that would require the window to recognise the different layers of the wall composite and a way to have Wallhole only punch select layers? Though within the window options there's the option to have a wall insert and I'm assuming that doesn't use Wallhole. Not sure how Wallniche works so that might be an option, but there's still the the issue or recognising the layers...

Ling.
Yes that is just an extra wall in the window position.

WALLNICHE is indeed the answer for GDL - or one of them.
No need to recognise wall skins although you could request the thickness of each skin.
WALLNICHE works on depth so you could add parameters to control that or request the skin thicknesses to automate it.

Instead of WALLNICHE you could just add in a PRISM of wall, setting the material to match the wall surface.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you all

I am not familiar with GDL scripting so Barry's option of "bricking" up the opening seems like the way to go.
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
benjamin_chan:

Another option is to add a Niche the depth of the window, then add a wall the size of the niche (WxHxD) and add the window to that small wall. That way you will not need to create a new composite wall for the back of the window.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14