Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Windows XP or Vista

Anonymous
Not applicable
I will be installing windows in parallels on a Mac and was wondering if it would be recommended to install XP or Vista. How has Vista been working for 11?
9 REPLIES 9
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
personally, I got absolutely disappointed by Vista. It's a piece of crap munching huge portions of memory away in a pathetic attempt to mimic OSX.
As far as AC on Vista goes the pdf-ing was not working, maybe it's got fixed already.
You will be better off with XP that's for sure...
::rk
Anonymous
Not applicable
I currently use vista business and I have found AC11 to work alright, the only thing I had to do was set the archicad permissions to "run as administrator" and I found that fixed a few issues I was having.
Tom Krowka
Booster
Been having a big problem with Vista and AC drawings that were started in earlier versions. Am going to try the administrator fix mentioned in the previous post. Otherwise.....stick with Windows XP.
Tom Krowka Architect
Windows 11, AC Version 26
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Tom Krowka
Booster
Danj:

Perhaps you could let me know where the permissions are located? Didn't know there was such a thing....unless it's a teamwork thing.
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Anonymous
Not applicable
If you right click your archicad icon, at bottom go to properties, click compatability tab and at bottom there is a box you can tick.

I had issues with the NZ bracing tools wanting to write to the file but vista not allowing it, this was fixed when I set archicad to run as administrator.

The problem when you run archicad as admin under vista is that you then get all these annoying windows that pop up asking if you are sure you want to do this.
To get around this problem I downloaded a program called TweakUAC which allow you to put User Account Controls into "quiet mode"
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am running AC 11 standalone on a pc with Vista Ultimate and receiving an error "NOT RESPONDING" which means that I must close the program, anyone else having a similar issue?
Tom Krowka
Booster
Was having a similar problem, this could help.

Was experimenting with everything on the Vista laptop and V11 because of freezing up problem.....discovered that if one right clicks on the desktop, then properties, then changed color qualities to 16 bit, it seems to fix the problem.
Seems to run fine, right now anyway. Don't know if this is a symptom of a graphics card problem or what, the card on the laptop is not listed in the compatability chart. No downloadable test for V11, so can't test the card.
Hope this will help.
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Anonymous
Not applicable
Tom,

I am on my laptop as well, I will give tihs a try.
Thanks
Paul King
Advisor
AC 11 runs with approximately equal reliability under Vista 64 and XP 64 bit, but 3D Open GL is noticeably better & faster under XP, using latest Ati Radeon drivers (Catalyst 7.9).

AC does not seem to multi task very well under either platform though, even when plenty of free RAM & CPU time available on dual core PC - switching back from another large pp, or after PC has been in standby mode, performance nosedives to unusable levels under either for me.

Perhaps MAC is better?
PAUL KING | https://www.prime.net.nz
ArchiCAD 8-27 | Twinmotion 2023
Windoze 11 PC | Intel Core i9 10900K | Nvidia Gforce RTX 3080 | 32 Gb DDR3 | 2x4K monitor extended desktop