Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Wish upon an Object from BIMcomponents.com

Levente Filetoth
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Dear Archi-Talkers,

I guess I am preaching to the choir when saying that GDL is one of the core assets of ArchiCAD. To provide support for great GDL content to get created we launched BIMcomponents.com with ArchiCAD 16. In order to give some boost to the interest for the topic we decided to help deliver some long wished GDL objects that no-one has created as of yet.

Here we call upon a little contest: share your wish for an object that you cannot find in the standard ArchiCAD library and we will see to it that some of them get programmed and shared with all of you through the BIMcomponents.com portal.

The rules are very simple, just make a post with a concise description of what you think could be solved with the help of GDL and your award is that if your idea turns out to be interesting enough it will be programed by a professional GDL developer.

Please give us your ideas and let's see if we can create some extra value to the ArchiCAD community with the help of GDL.

Disclaimer: This promotional activity's goal is to find objects that are over the line of standard object development project, hence will never make it to the standard ArchiCAD library. Please use this thread to provide your input to this specific topic and please avoid raising issues related to the development of the standard ArchiCAD object libraries and/or to the development of the GDL technology in general. Thank you for your understanding.
Levente Filetoth
Architect, www.graphisoft.com
MacBook Pro 15" 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.8.
ArchiCAD 4.5 - 19
93 REPLIES 93
JaredBanks
Mentor
Improved Modular Joinery for 16 would be awesome! And asymmetrical arch tops too. Those forced me to learn how to make custom doors and windows!

Oh how about an improved/updated free form window object? The one we all have is from what, AC10 or earlier?

By the way, thanks for doing this. I think it's a great treat for the community. I hope it becomes a regular (yearly/quarterly?) occurrence!!!
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
sinceV6
Advocate
The Modular Joinery would solve a lot of issues with the library objects. It might even simplify it, as I'm sure many would stop needing separate objects and use a single object/interface to solve a lot of doors and windows. Haven't used to object myself, but read about it... a lot!

In this regard, one object I would like is a "Modular railing object": Combine the available fences and railings into a single powerful object that is true 3D; I mean, one railing object that can have several segments and adapt to stair slope in 3D using editable hotspots, that gives control over post position per segment, etc.

A single object to avoid the need of 5 or more railing objects per stair and build it in segments, some horizontal, some sloped, check connections, etc... or use walls, beams, etc. to build them.

Olivier Dentan has a railing object close to this, with several segments, but it is constrained to a (x,y) plane.

I've been fiddling with this and I think is doable... but I lack the time.

Or is it that this has been done already and I missed it?!!?!
JaredBanks
Mentor
sinceV6, have you looked at CADswift's Swift Balustrade? It does exactly what you're asking for. I believe Kristian even has a trial version of the object.

http://cadswift.com.au/categories/CADswift-Shop/
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
Anonymous
Not applicable
Parametric lumber that can be easily rotated and shows the "x" when cut.

Additional features that would be nice could include built in shaping like dove tailing the ends or notching or even built in hangers. Also being able to have a single lumber object represent more than one piece and have the hanger encompass all the pieces. Such as having a (3)2x10 beam with hangers that held all three pieces of lumber as a single object.
Anonymous
Not applicable
http://www.objectsonline.com/product_info.php?products_id=1353

This is the Commercial Sink Designer object. I think this object should basically be in the library as is. Most commercial businesses I've done work for need commercial sinks and the base Archicad library doesn't really represent this properly. Also this isn't a niche item. It's pretty standard and weirdly lacking at least as far as the MEP goes.
Barry Kelly
laszlonagy wrote:
As a moderator who reads every post and has done so in the last several years (so I have some kind of idea of what people wished for before), I am wishing on behalf of the ArchiCAD community for the Modular Joinery object to be available to all.
And with sliding window/door options added - not just hinged and fixed.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
TMA_80
Enthusiast
I don't if this can be considered as an object:

A Zone that can be dispalyed in section and elevation ( color , informations)
AC12_20 |Win10_64bit|
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
TMA_80 wrote:
I don't if this can be considered as an object:

A Zone that can be dispalyed in section and elevation ( color , informations)
I am not absolutely sure about this but I think this would require functionality ArchiCAD currently doesn't have.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Aladar Kish
Contributor
I agree with Laszlo - the Modular Joinery object
and Karl - asymmetric arch topped windows and doors
AC 4.2 - AC 24 7006 FRA
mac OS 11.6.7
Anonymous
Not applicable
Zones wish - the functionality is already there as there is such a zone you can buy on line

Modular joinery and curved top window - already available from cadimage and others no doubt

What about something a bit more out there? We now have morphs and shells (from 15 on)....how about an object that 'clads' such objects - with user defined profiled members to form framing? This kind of thing is very easy in revit but very impossible in good old archicad...