BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Would ArchiCAD be vulnerable to the Quickdim patent?

stefan
Expert
Read today on http://www.upfrontezine.com/2013/upf-797.htm
Ralph wrote:
Autodesk in March 1999 released AutoCAD 2000, which added the QDim command. Three years earlier, however, a now-defunct CAD company named Adra Systems filed and received patent 5,655,095 for the same dimensioning operation. Here is how Adra described QuickDim:
Adra wrote:
QuickDim speeds the dimensioning process by automatically deciding whether to insert horizontal, vertical, angular, radial, diameter or parallel dimensions, based on the geometry being dimensioned and the position of the cursor relative to the geometry.
I'm not sure of the automatic alignment of the dimensions with regard to the cursor position as is available inside ArchiCAD might be in conflict with this patent, but to me it shows that such legal battles hamper innovation in a very negative way.
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
1 REPLY 1
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I also read this article and I was thinking about it a little bit.
The site of the company shows how the automatic dimension alignment works in their program. What I think it does is it takes the bounding box of the dimensioned element (let's say a slanted line) and if the cursor is within the box, the dimension will be aligned to the element. If it is above it or below it, it will be a horizontal dimension, and if it is to its left or right side, it will be a vertical dimension.
I think ArchiCAD does this differently because it displays the circle divided into 6 segments and the segment you click into defines how the dimension will be placed.
But this is based on a short video. the patent may be different or more elaborate.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Learn and get certified!

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!