Parametric design
About Rhino & Grasshopper and PARAM-O.
SOLVED!

Zone Category in feasibility study in ArchiCAD

Helioavila
Contributor

Hey guys,

I've been trying to develop a feasibility study script using Grasshopper connections, following an example I saw in a Youtube video. However, the video didn't have many details regarding the script, so I tried to replicate it, and now I'm stuck with the following problem:

I've been trying to assign different zone categories to represent building uses, just like in the video:Helioavila_0-1678647854701.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXGHMGfKcsA

I believe my script is a bit more complex, starting from a curve and adding zoning parameters to delimit the perimeter of the floors, and then using the zone tool to represent the floors:

Helioavila_3-1678648014848.png

Each use has parameters to control the height of its zone:

Helioavila_1-1678647930012.png

The big problem is that I can't connect more than one "zone category" to the "Zone" element. I even resorted to GhPython to try to control the flow of heights and create an input, but it didn't work either.

Helioavila_2-1678647957006.png

What are the limitations of the zone tool, and can anyone help me?
I'll attach the files so you guy can take a look.

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
BrunoH
Expert

Hi, if y understand well, you try to assign multiple zone categories to the same Zone Element, it's not possible, a Zone Element can only be set with one unique zone category.

If you need multiple categories for a story you'll have to create as many Zone Element as needed categories.

ArchiCad 3.43 to 26
MacOS Monterey

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
psmu
Contributor

Hello! Thank you for the code! could you explain how it works and what does the code do?.. What are setback inputs? 

The script is for help feasibility studies. Setback is a parameter based on specific zoning. 

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

Would it be possible for you to create Zone Favorites in Archicad, then use those in Grasshopper? The different Favorites could have different Zone Categories set in them.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

Thank you very much for the response!! I created favorites for each zone, where each one belongs to a distinct category. But I couldn't connect different favorites to the zone element in Grasshopper. Any idea of any other way to input multiple favorites in the same zone? 

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

Unfortunately, I do not have Grasshopper at the moment so I cannot try, but I thought for some reason that this should be possible. I mean, you should be possible to create a series of Zones using a Zone Component, and you should be able to specify the various inputs of each Zone instance. Is that not the case?

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Solution
BrunoH
Expert

Hi, if y understand well, you try to assign multiple zone categories to the same Zone Element, it's not possible, a Zone Element can only be set with one unique zone category.

If you need multiple categories for a story you'll have to create as many Zone Element as needed categories.

ArchiCad 3.43 to 26
MacOS Monterey

Thanks, Bruno. I think now I will be able to figure out a different way to make it. I’m gonna try a different approach, attaching zones in respective stories. I think the video distracts me.

indira_abike
Participant

Hello, is it possible to see the updated script. I am learning grasshopper and I am trying to learn from your file how you did it. Also I have some question: There are three curves as an input. The leftest one ist the plot outline? And the rest two are the setback lines?