Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

alignment for standing seam metal roof accessory

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is there a way to adjust the seam locations to line up on my split pitch roof? I want the seam from the upper section of roof to continue in line down along the lower roof section

Screen shot 2010-12-02 at 11.09.37 AM.png
24 REPLIES 24
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
I haven't used that for about 7 years, but I vaguely recall that it positioned itself based on the starting point and direction the roof was built. I think I had the most luck when I used just one roof and copied/mirrored it around to make my entire roof system.

It may have changed since, but perhaps give that a go until someone else replies?

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
It's been a while for me too but as I recall the start point is relative to the roof reference line center point.
Anonymous
Not applicable
If there is a better way to model standing seam roofs, I am all ears....
but as for using this, my reference lines are centered already
Anonymous
Not applicable
Scott wrote:
If there is a better way to model standing seam roofs, I am all ears....
but as for using this, my reference lines are centered already
The only better way I know of is to purchase the Cadimage addon. An alternative is to model the seams as little bits of roof though this is obviously a pain to maintain.

The reference line can be moved laterally to reposition it's center reference point without affecting the position or slope of the roof. If I recall correctly this should reposition the start point of the seams.
Karl Ottenstein
Duane Valencia first published the tip on adjusting the roof pivot line position to align the standing seam roof accessory. Long time ago, but repeated here:

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=21019#21019

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for the tips, apparently now in 14 adjusting the pivot point only effects the 2D, there is no change to the 3d. Frustrating...
Karl Ottenstein
Scott wrote:
Thank you for the tips, apparently now in 14 adjusting the pivot point only effects the 2D, there is no change to the 3d. Frustrating...
Hi Scott,

Glad you tested it... I just tried it in 14 and found that the 3D would update for me only if the roof and accessory object were mirrored ... and then only for the mirror. The original, un-mirrored accessory updates its 2D symbol in response to adjusting the pivot line, but not the 3D. The mirrored copy updates both.

(Only adjusting the "left" endpoint of the pivot line makes any changes. I'm defining "left" as if you have drawn the pivot line and clicked the eyeball away from you. So, for a normal, positively pitched roof, it is the "left" of the three pivot line points when looking at the lower edge of the roof.)

I'll pass on the bug to GS... Even though Accessories are "not" supported, I hope they'll fix this...

Cheers,
Karl
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
For standing seam roof I model a pannel, save it as .gsm with roty rotx function for roof pitch and use SEOs to trim it up.

This may be a little off topic but I am suprised at how much pseudo modeling you can do with Maxwell Render using displacement maps.

Below is metal roof that is done using displacement maps. It is not modeled this way. It is not a photo.

Making a displacement map for a standing seam metal roof is probably very easy.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://bp3.blogger.com/_9eF3TfNMTDg/Rvq88jY5b6I/AAAAAAAAE6U/z7FJ...

I am probably the last person to learn about displacement maps. It sure does change the amount of modeling that is needed. Also, it changes my mind about the kind of modeling tools I thought I wanted to have in ArchiCAD.

http://forum.asgvis.com/index.php?topic=6927.msg39517#msg39517

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Karl Ottenstein
Regarding the bugs with the standing seam accessory object, Graphisoft reports that this is already in their queue of wishes and issues.