BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

anyone still on AC9o? Mactel? anyone? bueler?

Anonymous
Not applicable
ok, yes I am Amish, yes i am still on the antiquaited 9o and yes graphisoft has washed her hands of 9o users. I guess I didn't jump on the 10 wagon, fast enough and I am really screwed. I bought a mac book pro, and due to jobs overactive product updates, which seem to destroy installed software, i cannot finish a project. (this is really only a theory) My theory is that I can no longer see anything in my 3d window, because quicktime was updated and this software has some strange dependence on quicktime. I had to reinstall archicad 9o three times just to get it to open a file. now i can open them and perform most things, even section elevation windows, but when the 3d window is open, there is nothing there but the xyz vector tree. Thank you apple! or is it thank you archicad? I understand there still isn't any help for ac10 and the new quicktime, so i guess the macbook pro that cost me 3500 dollars goes in the trash! Maybe I should switch to vectorworks until ArchiCAD figures it out in version 12, 1200.00 dollars later, and one outdated macbook pro later. Should have got a dell! They still work fine. So is vector works any good. (I have been using archicad for 11 years since 5o)
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
I've been running AC10 on Mactel since the beta version and have had no display problems. I did run AC9 for a while without serious trouble, but the performance wasn't great. I haven't needed to run it for some months now so I don't know if you are right about the Quicktime problem. You really should upgrade to 10, especially on Mactel.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matt,

Hey! long time no talk. Here is a question, I see from the wiki on the subject that archicad10 on 10.4 has no problems. Does that also mean that there are no problems with the quicktime too? Why would anyone not upgrade from 10.3 to 10.4, they are free. It does say that 10.3 with the new quicktime, doesn't work, but why would anyone upgrade quicktime and not thier os?

day job: windows xp archicad ver9something PIV230 2gig
night job: Macbook pro mactel 2.6 osx.4 2gig archicad ver9.0

Shae Jobe, AIA
TomWaltz
Participant
Shae wrote:
Matt,

Hey! long time no talk. Here is a question, I see from the wiki on the subject that archicad10 on 10.4 has no problems. Does that also mean that there are no problems with the quicktime too? Why would anyone not upgrade from 10.3 to 10.4, they are free. It does say that 10.3 with the new quicktime, doesn't work, but why would anyone upgrade quicktime and not thier os?

day job: windows xp archicad ver9something PIV230 2gig
night job: Macbook pro mactel 2.6 osx.4 2gig archicad ver9.0

Shae Jobe, AIA
OS10.3 was Panther. OS10.4 is Tiger. That's a paid upgrade and an entire OS upgrade, a la XP to Vista (OK, not so dramatic, but the same idea).
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
something wierd i noticed. If I draw a slab or wall in the 3d window it regenerates and shows the model. But if I close it and open it back up it shows it blank again. wierd stuff! Any ideas?
Anonymous
Not applicable
I currently use both AC9 and AC 10 on Macbook Pro running OSX 10.4 with the latest Q/Time update. There are no problems with display of anything - sections, 3D Open GL internal render engine etc.

It is true that the upgrade from OSX 10.3 to 10.4 is a paid upgrade but it is only a fraction of the cost of Vista! It is in my opinion well worth the money.
By the way so is ArchiCAD 10!
Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't remember paying for my upgrade to 10.4, but I love it. I did resolve the mystery in two ways. First I bought archicad on ebay for a bargain. (it seems that way to me.) My very first single seat license. I have been using my company license for personal work, and I finally broke down and bought my own copy of ver10. It was really frustrating, because the office was on 9 and is slow to update. Earlier, when I couldn't open a file and had to reinstall, apparently all the settings were set to defaults which the mac didn't like. I changed the settings to hardware acceleration, and low and behold it works now. Not sure why the installs treated the defaults differently, but they did. Anyway it now works, and I am upgrading to 10!
Learn and get certified!