BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Parametric design
About Rhino & Grasshopper and PARAM-O.

archicad 22-grasshopper live connection installation failed

Daniel Kovacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi,

What the GH-AC installer actually does is that it just places an ARCHICAD Add-on in the ARCHICAD Add-on folder, and places a GH add-on in the GH Add-on folder (and adds 1-2 system level entries). If both applications are running, these add-ons should find each other and make the connection between them.

In order for the Add-ons to find each other, they have to be the same version, so only 1 version of the GH-AC connection can be installed on a computer at once (so you can't have an AC21 and an AC22 version of the add-on installed at the same time).

So, based on the above my guess would be that something went south with this uninstall/reinstall workflow, and something got stuck at a different version, so the connection cannot be made. Here's what you should try (on both your computers):
  • First follow the uninstallation instructions from the GH-AC guide, to remove the currently installed versions. On macOS you have to do it manually for AC21 and earlier version add-ons.
  • Go to the location of the add-ons in both AC and GH, and make sure that there's no trace of them left. If you have multiple AC versions installed, check all of them. Here are the locations of the add-ons:
    ARCHICAD Add-on:
    • C:\Program Files\GRAPHISOFT\ARCHICAD 22\Add-Ons\Grasshopper-ARCHICAD Live Connection

GH Add-on:
    • macOS: ~/Library/Application Support/McNeel/Rhinoceros/MacPlugIns/
      Grasshopper/Libraries/ARCHICAD 22
    • Win: C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Grasshopper\Libraries\ARCHICAD 22

As you can see the Grasshopper Add-ons are stored in the current user's folder, so make sure you remove it from the folder of every user who might have it installed.
  • Restart the computer (just to be sure) and then install the GH-AC Add-on again. You will get the message that you should reinstall the update, but that is fine.
  • Run the ARCHICAD 22 5009 update again! it will find that it is already installed, but give you the option to "repair the installation". That is what you should go with, so it would find parts of the Add-n that are not up-to-date, and "fix" them.
I hope I wrote it clearly enough, but if you get stuck at any point, feel free to ask me again. Let me know if this solved the issue!

Regards,
Daniel Alexander Kovacs

Professional Services Consultant

GRAPHISOFT

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

I am experiencing the same issue while installing the GH-AC live connection, and following the steps above did not resolve the problem.
When installing the GH-AC connection I get an error message saying that the Archicad 22 version should be updated to the latest version, which I did, but the GH connection still doesn't appear in the Interoperability menu.
I then uninstalled and reinstalled the GH connection - two or three times - deleted add-on files and fixed the installation , but the connection still doesn't work on Archicad. (It's running perfectly on the Rhino/Grasshopper side).
I am working with Archicad 22 FRENCH - Update 6001-1.0 and GH live connection - 22 INT-4027-1.3.
Rhino version 5 and grasshopper 0.9.0076. and Windows 7.

Could it be due to a block from the computer antivirus?
Or is it the fact that I installed GH Connection after the AC 22 5009-1.0 version? My colleagues who installed GH connection at the same time as the first version of AC22 don't have any problems.
I am thinking of uninstalling Archicad and GH connection and reinstalling AC22 at an earlierst version AC 4023-1.0. Then install GH connection and only after that updating AC22 to 6001-1.0.

Please let me know if you have any more info on this installation problem,
Thank you!
still not understanding why AC-GH v6001 isn't ready. AC6000 was in preview mode for over 60 days. If GS wants to promote this workflow, the tools need to be ready and stay in sync. my 2 Euros.
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
Daniel Kovacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Nat wrote:
Hello,

I am experiencing the same issue while installing the GH-AC live connection, and following the steps above did not resolve the problem.
When installing the GH-AC connection I get an error message saying that the Archicad 22 version should be updated to the latest version, which I did, but the GH connection still doesn't appear in the Interoperability menu.
I then uninstalled and reinstalled the GH connection - two or three times - deleted add-on files and fixed the installation , but the connection still doesn't work on Archicad. (It's running perfectly on the Rhino/Grasshopper side).
I am working with Archicad 22 FRENCH - Update 6001-1.0 and GH live connection - 22 INT-4027-1.3.
Rhino version 5 and grasshopper 0.9.0076. and Windows 7.

Could it be due to a block from the computer antivirus?
Or is it the fact that I installed GH Connection after the AC 22 5009-1.0 version? My colleagues who installed GH connection at the same time as the first version of AC22 don't have any problems.
I am thinking of uninstalling Archicad and GH connection and reinstalling AC22 at an earlierst version AC 4023-1.0. Then install GH connection and only after that updating AC22 to 6001-1.0.

Please let me know if you have any more info on this installation problem,
Thank you!
Hi,

So you are saying that the installation goes through, and the AC components appear in GH, but you cannot see the GH connection palette in ARCHICAD?

That could be because of several reasons:
  • Maybe you have multiple ARCHICAD versions installed on your computer, and the add-on was installed into the wrong one. You can easily see if the Add-on is there. Go to .../GRAPHISOFT/ARCHICAD 22/Add-ons/ and see if you have a folder/add-on called Grasshopper-ARCHICAD Live Connection.
  • Or maybe the add-on is installed, but it is not loaded for some reason. Start ARCHICAD and go to Options/Add-On Manager..., and see if you can see the add-on activated there.
  • If the Add-on is in the folder, and it is loaded into ARCHICAD's Add-on Manager, then it is possible that you simply have a custom Work Environment, so the Palette just doesn't appear in your menu. In this case you can either apply a standard profile, or edit the menu layout in your custom profile and add the palette manually.
If your problem is that the components appear in GH, and you have the palette in AC, but when you start the connection nothing happens, then maybe the Antivirus is blocking it, or you have another add-on in GH/Rhino that blocks the Add-on.

I hope this helped sorting your issues out. Let us know how it went.

Regards,
Daniel Alexander Kovacs

GRAPHISOFT

Daniel Kovacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Aaron wrote:
still not understanding why AC-GH v6001 isn't ready. AC6000 was in preview mode for over 60 days. If GS wants to promote this workflow, the tools need to be ready and stay in sync. my 2 Euros.
Hi Aaron,

We only release new versions of the Add-on, when there is new functionality added, otherwise the ARCHICAD update should include the fixes for the Add-on as well (that is why it usually asks you to run the update again, after you installed the Add-on).

Regards,
Daniel Alexander Kovacs

GRAPHISOFT

Thanks for the clarification!
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
Learn and get certified!