Design forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

archicad 23 what is happening

mhoude
Newcomer
We paid in april and we don't have any news for the 23 version. Are we getting a credit for 2020
Architect, OAQ, NCARB, Leed green associate

Mac OSX
38 REPLIES 38

The release was delayed until September, I believe.
I'm surprised that people like you (who I assume is on subscription) weren't informed.

(which once again highlights the problem with Graphisoft messaging and informing their own subscription customers)

I'm not sure if you'll get a credit or anything for the lost couple of months (or what it would entail).

Personally I don't think you're losing that much in not getting this particular version any sooner given the features updated.
It's one of the more weaker releases in recent years from a productivity and bread-and-butter perspective (certainly since Version 20 that only had cosmetic changes). If you are a larger firm you might love it, but for the rest of us.....not so much.

But that's just my opinion.

mhoude
Newcomer
We didn't know about september. Most of the time went you do a presentation for software the next week the product is available. Your right about this version it doesn't comply with architect practice, it doesn't matter if you do small or big project.

We do struggle with many problems. Worksheet should have the option to keeping the 3d informations so went we have to enlarge a plan with a reference on the plan it is in real time modification.

The distance between architect in real practice and a software programmer is dam far.

Mac OSX

Erwin Edel
Mentor
I'm generally quite happy to work in ArchiCAD, but decided long ago to not adapt to the new releases in terms of using them for projects until they've been out for a good few months. Too many bugs in the past that made it through in release.

The Dutch version generally lags behind a bit on the International and bigger local releases, so not sure when we'll be using it.

We are on the subscription too, but it comes with a lot of extra features courtesy of our reseller and free support, so worth it.

That said, the feature set looks underwhelming and some of my most used 'favourite' versions have had very few big things going for them (AC11, AC15, AC20 to name my top 3), so in a weird way I'm excited for this one.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-24 NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5

Jeff Kogut
Newcomer
mhoude wrote:

The distance between architect in real practice and a software programmer is dam far.
A week doesn't go by where I mutter to myself 'Does Graphisoft even use their own software!?!'

I wish they would put 100% toward fixing/refining instead of adding more stuff. I'm thinking overhauling schedules, windows/doors, expanded library of pretty much everything we would ever need, and awesome textures with optimized settings for renderings. Why is every user/CAD Manager fiddling with these things?

I wish Graphisoft was sending out an annual questionnaire to all users asking about their experience, what slows down building a model and what slows down getting CD's done? Basically be a GREAT program instead of competing with the other guys.

I'd be happy with the next 2-3 releases only having the above done before adding anything more.
AC19-23 | Win10 Pro | i7-8700K | Quadro P600 | 500gb 960 EVO M2 | Dual 28" 4k Samsung U28E590

Lingwisyer
Virtuoso
Jeff wrote:
awesome textures with optimized settings for renderings

I would guess that this does not happen as AC is a BIM package rather than a Visualisation package. Even so, if you compare it to the included surface library in VRay for Max, it is half decent straight out of the box. Many of textures I used in VRay were paid for... They were easy to assemble though, compared to ACs terrible editor...

Regarding the delay till September, is something happening this coming month as my dongle apparently just updated to 23.

Ling.
AC18-23 AUS 7000
Self-taught, bend it till it breaks.
Win10 | E5620 x 2 | 24GB | K2200

James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
The built-in Surface catalogue in AC23 has been upgraded for both OpenGL and CineRender.
Product Manager, Graphisoft

Marton Kiss
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
mhoude wrote:
We paid in april and we don't have any news for the 23 version. Are we getting a credit for 2020
Dear Mhoude,

Thanks for raising this. Please allow us to inform you that to honour our customers loyalty, anyone who purchased an ARCHIPLUS or renewed one after the release date of ARCHICAD 22 will be eligible for a free upgrade to ARCHICAD 23 regardless if that ARCHIPLUS will have been expired by the time of the release of ARCHICAD 23. We hope you will enjoy the brand new capabilities coming with v23.
Marton Kiss
Director, Global Customer Engagement
GRAPHISOFT

mhoude
Newcomer
Your text doesn't make sense. We did paid in april 2019 for 23 we are not getting it for free. By the way archicad 24 should be free for loyalty.

Mac OSX

Rex Maximilian
Enthusiast
mhoude wrote:
Your text doesn't make sense. We did paid in april 2019 for 23 we are not getting it for free. By the way archicad 24 should be free for loyalty.
He means that people who had ArchiPLUS with ArchiCAD 22 will get v23 when it's released, even if their ArchiPLUS has expired. You obviously are still within the 12-month activation so it doesn't affect you in the sense that you'd miss out without this new policy. They're doing this because it is usually released on an annual basis and many subscribers went an entire 12-month period without an update.
Rex Maximilian, Honolulu, USA - www.rexmaximilian.com
ArchiCAD 25 (user since 3.4, 1991)
27" iMac (2019), 8-core 3.6 Ghz i9 processor, 40GB RAM, 1.5TB SSD, Radeon Pro Vega 48 (8GB)
Creator of the Maximilian ArchiCAD Template System

mhoude
Newcomer
We paid the subscription for archiplus just before the announcement for the new release and the graphisoft contract was in that way too and that since 10 years. We don't paid for bugs extension correction. Your company decide to retard the new release so make it right.

Mac OSX

vortextheory
Newcomer
so I was told October today
pen n paper, sometimes pencil
AC23 + TM + ARTLANTIS 6.5
3900x, 2070 SUPER duper, 32ddr4, 970 evo ssd , etc..
ASUS Rog Strix Scar 3,
BENQ 32 & 27
Note 10+

mhoude
Newcomer
October wow,

Good job, they press us to paid our subscription before the end of april before the new announcement in may of the new version.

So we paid 7 months before we can work with 23.

Mac OSX

KrisM
Newcomer
Disappointing that they had the big announcement so long before the release date and extra disappointing that the release date is now going to be delayed. Good way to crush your customers expectations.
Kris Marteinsson
http://www.khmdesign.ca
AC22 USA Win 10 Home 64 Bit
Intel i7 - 6700K, 32 GB Ram, 500 GB SSD
Nvidia GTX 980 Ti, Dell 34" 3440x1440

vfrontiers
Participant
Agree... this is bad enough... What's really going to be tough to swallow is next April..

I ALWAYS knew there would be some point at which we'd make 2 payments and get 1 upgrade...
Starting to sound more like INSURANCE than software.

….
Duane
Visual Frontiers
AC22 6021:|: AC24 4007:|: Enscape3:|:TwinMotion
DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti

vfrontiers
Participant
And what's worse is this morning, it showed (randomly) that my KEY was upgraded to 23 (but no actual upgrade available)…
Duane
Visual Frontiers
AC22 6021:|: AC24 4007:|: Enscape3:|:TwinMotion
DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti

Karl Ottenstein
vfrontiers wrote:
And what's worse is this morning, it showed (randomly) that my KEY was upgraded to 23 (but no actual upgrade available)…
Glass half empty / half full - Just ran License Manager and see that you're right... just upgraded my Codemeter key. Feels like progress (glass not even half full.. just a puddle at the bottom) even though nobody is telling us officially what's going on. The most recent release Press Release from Graphisoft is dated July 18 (with May 14 being the most recent one related to AC 23):
https://www.graphisoft.com/info/news/press_releases/2019.html

This long, silent period seems unprecedented to me... but my memory isn't what it used to be. 😉
One of the forum moderators   •   AC 25 USA and earlier   •   MacOS 11.6, iMac Pro

vfrontiers wrote:
Agree... this is bad enough... What's really going to be tough to swallow is next April..

I ALWAYS knew there would be some point at which we'd make 2 payments and get 1 upgrade...

….

October!

Wow.
This would be laughable and funny if it weren't so sad.
And I'm not even upgrading to this version.

And if you subscription folks think you're mad now, just wait until it's released and you find out that you still have to go through another 5,6,7 or 8 hotfixes before it's even fully usable and stable enough to carry over most of your projects to.
Which should probably place you at around a month or two away from the Version 24 release announcement (and probably another 6 months for the actual release after the announcement if they keep the current model).

(*Warning! :Rant incoming.
Look away now, if you're of sensitive disposition.
You've been warned)

What is the point of the Beta testing period and the whole beta testing process if they're still going to delay and postpone the release anyway by up to 4 months, just to fix the problems that were not caught by the beta testing (I'm assuming)?
And then to top it all off is the radio silence from Graphisoft (their standard Modus Operandi for everything) and leaving customers to have to rely on resellers or forums like this to get any information (if any at all, even).

And like I said, I'm not even upgrading to this version since there really wasn't anything in the upcoming features that I feel were aimed to a small user like myself (and haven't really been since Version 21 which is the main version I'm still on right now). So I can only imagine how maddening this must be for subscription folks who, knowing that even when they do eventually get their hands on it, unless they're big firms, there's not a whole lot in the upgrade that will justify all of this.

It's all just worrying signs as to what lies ahead in the future of this once great software.
I was actually remarking to a colleague about how ArchiCAD used to be the pioneering software and front-runner among its rival.
The marketing tagline of one of their versions not that long ago was, "ArchiCAD : The only BIM software on the market that is fully multi-core aware and take full advantage of multi-core CPU's"

Now, in 2019, they're literally the only BIM software on the market that's incapable of making use of a multi-monitor work environment and to leverage today's powerful graphics cards and GPU's to do so.

How far the mighty have fallen.

I was not sure what to expect in next year's version 24 (which is the one I was planning on upgrading to).
Now I'm fully dreading it.

Tomek Piatek
Contributor
Just chime in a little here. It appears that there are two separate issues here:

Firstly, complex software is complex. It's hard to evolve, maintain, upgrade. Especially so for a system that has endured for as long as ArchiCAD. There is a tonne of software architecture baggage under the hood that can't just be ripped out and replaced. Software development just doesn't work like that. Otherwise we'd have GS rewrite AC every year. Clearly that would not work at all.

Secondly, and more importantly, GS have screwed up managing their customers expectations. They have failed to promise less and deliver more. That is all on management and they need to figure out a way out of this.

---
ArchiCAD 23
Windows 10 Pro

Barry Kelly
vfrontiers wrote:

How do you figure that?
I assume you pay an annual subscription that includes support, licence insurance and all updates and upgrades within that year.
Just as I do - in January.
If you feel you are being hard done by, why not cancel the subscription and then just pay for the upgrades as they happen (if you feel they are worth it)?

Every year there is a new version.
Since it changed to the yearly version upgrades, I can not recall that it has ever been missed.
Yes, this year is a little latter than most, but it is still going to happen.

Whether the upgrade is worth it or not I guess that is a matter of personal choice.
Some years I choose not to adopt the latest version - that is my choice - but I still pay the annual subscription.

Should a version actually not be released one year, then we would all have something to complain about.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 25
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Dell Precision 3510 - i7 6820HQ @ 2.70GHz, 16GB RAM, AMD FirePro W5130M, Windows 10

Didn't find the answer? Start a new discussion

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!