cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Design forum

bay window with not-perpendicular opening?

Anonymous
Not applicable
in Hong Kong, place is very limited, high rise and high dense buildings are very common. There are situation for bay window is not perpendicular to the wall, let say, facing 15 degree instead. just like the attachment, this is made by only 2d lines.

However, I still dunno how to do so.

Anyone know? thanks

Picture 2.png
6 REPLIES 6

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Since a Window can only be placed into a Wall:
Draw them as Walls and then place the Windows into them.
....................................................................................................
Get Archicad Tips at https://twitter.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen 1700X CPU, 48 GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), WIN10 PRO ENG, AC20-AC26
Loving Archicad since 1995

Karl Ottenstein
Moderator
Actually, using the library 'bay' assemblies as an example, this does not need to be done with walls and inserted windows - although it certainly can be.

You can model the entire bay assembly consisting of the extended sill (or floor), window frame, glass, ceiling and roof as well as a wall cutting slab with the ID=wallhole in the floor plan using normal tools and then save the entire assembly as a window. Placing the result in the wall will cut the hole.

Remember that when you assemble a custom window in plan, you do so flat on the ground, with the zero height equal to the outside of the building. So, your bay would be built below zero. The window walls would have to be done with roofs or tilted (complex or not) columns.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators   •   AC 26 USA and earlier   •   MacOS 11.6.8, iMac Pro

Anonymous
Not applicable
laszlonagy wrote:
Since a Window can only be placed into a Wall:
Draw them as Walls and then place the Windows into them.

But one side is shorter than the other side

Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
Actually, using the library 'bay' assemblies as an example, this does not need to be done with walls and inserted windows - although it certainly can be.l
sorry, I can't place the window without a wall
You can model the entire bay assembly consisting of the extended sill (or floor), window frame, glass, ceiling and roof as well as a wall cutting slab with the ID=wallhole in the floor plan using normal tools and then save the entire assembly as a window. Placing the result in the wall will cut the hole.
That mean I have to model whole window again? it is so inconvenient.....

Anonymous
Not applicable
but finally, I have to model it by thin wall and thin slab as the bay window

not yet set the materials, but basically, it is done in both 3D and 2D!!

Thanks you all ^_^

Karl Ottenstein
Moderator
angus wrote:
Karl wrote:
Actually, using the library 'bay' assemblies as an example, this does not need to be done with walls and inserted windows - although it certainly can be.l
sorry, I can't place the window without a wall
You can model the entire bay assembly consisting of the extended sill (or floor), window frame, glass, ceiling and roof as well as a wall cutting slab with the ID=wallhole in the floor plan using normal tools and then save the entire assembly as a window. Placing the result in the wall will cut the hole.
That mean I have to model whole window again? it is so inconvenient.....
The 'bay' is the window. See the attached screenshot of your own image. The entire assembly would be a single window object which cuts the hole (red arrows) in the host wall (yes - you need a wall). You then pop them in everywhere that you need them. If anything about the bay changes, you change the object and all bays change.

The alternative is an empty opening combined with two walls and two slabs (at least) as you have done ...the walls, window and slabs could be a hotlinked module, allowing one change to change all instances later - but the wallhole would have to be placed individually and the modules aligned.... And the bay walls will not clean up correctly with your main walls, although you could make them polywalls I suppose...?

Let us know what ends up working best for you.

Karl
One of the forum moderators   •   AC 26 USA and earlier   •   MacOS 11.6.8, iMac Pro

Didn't find the answer? Start a new discussion

Labels

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!