Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

can't get railing changes to stick

heathldesign
Expert

Good day,

yet another bug me thinks. i have been trying to edit a railing, but the changes don't stick. quit and restarted, didn't make a difference. i've tried editing it in edit mode from the 3D window, in 2D in edit mode, and in 2D with the railing tool settings dialogue. i make the changes and click OK. but the railing segment remains unchanged. so far the only way to do it is to delete it and build a new one exactly the way i want then place it. very inconvenient and quite the pain in the A. see the video

MAC Studio 2022 M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 10 cores, AC26 5003 Apple Silicon USA
13 REPLIES 13

I am having similar issues. I have the most recent AC 26 update for Apple Silicon. My problem is happening when I select a railing that came as a preset Favorite, but I want to change the returns and the material. It is not implementing any changes. I have tried this two ways, and none of them work:

1) Create new railing, then select the favorited one, then change settings to what I desire, then place railing.

2) Place railing first then try to edit information. 

Lastly, I after I have already placed one railing in the project, when I go to place another, it defaults to the previous one placed, and again, I cannot amend any properties. See screenshot showing changes made that are note being implemented.

Screenshot 2023-01-19 at 11.01.56 AM.png

ArchiCAD: AC26, Version 4024 USA Full (Apple Silicon)
Computer: 2022 Apple M1 Max, 10-core CPU, 32-core GPU, 64 GB memory
Jeff Galbraith
Advocate

The problem may be that you're not editing the right rail in the settings.  It took me a while to realize that there is a drop down menu in the top right corner of this menu:

JeffGalbraith_0-1674150572035.png

The changes you make in this dialogue box will only apply to the rail selected.  In your screen capture it looks like you are modifying the ends of your 'Toprail'. However you're actual railing may be defined as 'Handrail 1' or 'Handrail 2'.  You need to select the correct rail from the drop down menu first and then make the changes. 

You can confirm which railing you want to edit by selecting the 'Segment' listing in the selection tree in the left hand pane of the settings window, and then graphically selecting the rail in the 2D elevation preview.  Once selected it will highlight green in the preview and select either 'Toprail', 'Rails', or 'Handrails' in the selection tree.

Jeff G

Archicad 27 USA (full), Macbook Pro (16-inch 2023, M3 MAX, 128 GB RAM)

Thanks, Jeff! I thought I was doing that, but I double-checked, and you are right. 

ArchiCAD: AC26, Version 4024 USA Full (Apple Silicon)
Computer: 2022 Apple M1 Max, 10-core CPU, 32-core GPU, 64 GB memory

It would really be nice if they added the various railing types in an additional sub-layer under the 'Ends' portion of the selection tree on the left side of that dialogue box.  I can't tell you how much time and frustration I spent until I figured that out!

Jeff G

Archicad 27 USA (full), Macbook Pro (16-inch 2023, M3 MAX, 128 GB RAM)
Learn and get certified!