Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

carpentry plans - question

Anonymous
Not applicable
hi everyone.

been using archicad for few years mainly for interior.
i wanted to find out, how people here, user of AC, do their carpentry plans.

Were not usually use AC libraries for carpentry but create our own.

the thing is that we use 2d for that - lines and fills - through detail tool.

maybe someone could send an example of how he creates these kind of drawings ? or maybe there are some drawings on the web ?

Thank you in advance,
Yoav.
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable
doesnt anyone knows about this issue ? ?
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Yoavzarc:

"Carpentry Plans" will mean different things to different users. Try posting a more detailed description of what you are trying to accomplish to get a response.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am familiar with many different practices and have never heard of "carpentry plans". Perhaps it is a translation issue?
Anonymous
Not applicable
perhaps.

what i mean by carpentry - were doing complete furniture plans for an apartment - complete, in 1:25 scale.

we don't usually use AC blocks but draw everything and design everything - cupboards, beds, kitchen etc.

hope i was clearer
Anonymous
Not applicable
So you are designing custom furnishings as part of the architectural work? The only time I recall running into this is in the work of Frank Lloyd Wright.

We would not call them carpentry anyway as that refers to the rough and finish woodwork which is indicated in the architectural drawings. For installed cabinets and specialty trim we use the terms casework and millwork drawings. For moveable furnishings we simply call them furniture plans but those are typically for specified manufactured products. Over here your plans would still be furniture plans but the elevations, sections and details would, I guess, be called joinery drawings. ...and in well over 99% of cases the actual details for fabrication would be in the fabricator's shop drawings.

Anyway...

If I were doing it I would convert the furniture models to custom library parts and then adjust the plan symbols as necessary. For later editing and revisions the original components should be retained somewhere as editing the GDL scripts can be a rather daunting task.
Yoavzarc means what we would call "shop drawings" ...fabrication plans...

Yes. ArchiCAD is the ultimate tool for this kind of work. But it works better the other way around. Make the .gsm based on the shop drawings rather than making the shop drawings from the .gsm

Yoavzarc, can you show a picture of what you want the shop drawings for ?

http://www.furniturecraftplans.com/images/craft-woodworking-plans-sample1.jpg

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok, sorry for the late reply.
this is what i mean - these are some sections.

when i was doing complete private houses, i used AC 3D objects alot like walls slabs etc.

now, when we do craft-carpentry works (you guys have countless names for it...) i do it using 2d lines and fills. (in detail mode so everything would be 2d)
were not using any library objects because everything is from scratch.

Is there a better way to do it ? i understand your all doing larger projects but its strange that your not that familiar with these kind of plans.

Thanks
Yoav.
Barry Kelly
You could use 3D objects for all these cabinets but they would need to be quite detailed to get accurate sections/elevations.
If you can't find suitable objects you would have to make your own.

Or you could simplify the object making by creating 2D objects that you can use in the sections/elevations.
You probably won't find many of these objects out there so you would have to make your own.

Or you could model the cabinets using walls and slabs but again you will need to be quite detailed to get accurate drawings.

Or you can do as you do now and draw it all in 2D lines.

Or you can do a combination of any or all of the above.
I have cabinet objects (custom made) that are good enough for us to get plans and elevations automatically. With a little extra 2D line work they are fine.
For sections I have 2D objects I can lay over the 3D model to give a little more detail.
But for highly detailed plans you will probably end up going down the 2D line path.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
i understand.

thank You barry, and everyone else (: