Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

change walk line in spiral stair

Tom Krowka
Booster
Anyone know how to change the walk line location in a spiral stair? walk line 23 and regular walk line will only keep to the center of the stair. And it appears that the tread depth is measured at the walk line. I need to change the walk line location to work out spiral stair tread dimensions per building code walk line, which is not at the center of the stair.
THanks Tom
Tom Krowka Architect
Windows 11, AC Version 26
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
5 REPLIES 5
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Tom:

The Walking Line can be edited by selecting the Stair, clicking the Edit button, then changing from Schematic to Symbol in the Edit Stair palette. The Walking Line can now be selected and edited like a polyline. I tried this with a circular stair with a Label attached to read the treat depth, but changing the location of the Walking Line did not affect the label's values.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Tom Krowka
Booster
Tried and and was able to change the diameter. However the start and end symbols of the walk line appear fixed and can't move, so the walk line is off centered and not much use. It appears that the tread width is measured at the walk line. If you change the tread dimension in the settings it can be measured at the walk line as the tread dimension setting.

I think that the custom dimension in the walk line floor plan display setting is locked to center of stair width or grayed out and not available for a spiral stair. Shouldn't be this difficult.

Thanks Tom
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Tom wrote:
Tried and and was able to change the diameter. However the start and end symbols of the walk line appear fixed and can't move, so the walk line is off centered and not much use.
The Walking Line ends can be moved: once the Walking Line is selected, move the cursor to an end, a check mark appears, click here and the end point can be dragged.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Tom Krowka
Booster
Got it. Pretty tricky. Will experiment to see if I can determine relationship between tread width and walk line. Spiral stair am trying to work out is inside the circle diameter, not the outside of the circle diameter. It should all work the same I imagine.
Thanks for the replies. Appreciated.
Tom.
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Lingwisyer
Guru
T = (360X + πθW) / 360

T being your Tread
X being your Desired Tread
W being the difference between the radius of your Tread and Desired Tread.
θ being the angle of each Tread. eg. 15 treads for a stair that makes half a revolution. θ = 180 / 15 = 12

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660