BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

compex roof design

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have a complex roof design like that in the picture. I want to lay a roof cover on top of this frame but I can't do it. I tried everything I could. even to cover with a mesh and modify elevations to simulate a roof.
Anybody has any idea how to make this roof?
Please help

acoperis.jpg
8 REPLIES 8
Thomas Holm
Booster
Check here for "hp-flaeche.gsm":
http://www.archiforum.info/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=011673
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
It appears that your roof is intended to form a hyperbolic paraboloid surface.
Is this correct ?
In what way did the mesh tool not work to form this type of surface ?
Peter Devlin
Anonymous
Not applicable
Try the updated 'Mesh3d V2' object in the depository -

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/object_depository.php?browse=Depository/13+Special+Construction%2FBasic+Shapes

It can form all sorts of curved shapes and still maintain a uniform thickness, and you can still SEO the tops of walls if needed.
Brett Brown
Advocate
Has anyone posted a "how to use guide" on the Mesh3d object?
Imac, Big Sur AC 20 NZ, AC 25 Solo UKI,
Anonymous
Not applicable
It's pretty straight forward. Just place it on plan and have a play with the settings! Here is a quick guide to the parameters. Feel free to add any corrections and clarifications - this is just based on my understanding.

Grid Size.
'Number of control points' Controls the number of hotspots available for adjustment. More hotspots, more control.

'Grid size' Controls the fineness of the surface mesh. More divisions gives you a smoother surface.

'Show grid' Tickbox turns the display of the surface grid lines on or off. Affects 3d only. Also allows adjustment of pen.

Appearance.
'3d representation' Changes the display from wireframe to solid.

'Grid type >Surface - A simple plane. Can't be used for SEO.

>Thickness - Gives you a solid body with uniform thickness. The sides will always try to remain perpendicular to the top surface. Can be used for SEO.

>Base level - Similar to the normal mesh tool, creates a solid body with vertical sides that extends to the base level dimension. The dimension specifies the height at which base starts from 0.000.

>Double sided - Allows independent manipulation of both top and bottom surfaces.

'Offset' Adds extra height to the vertical sides.

'Interpolation Method' I believe 'Linear' interpolates between two points so giving sharper edges, and 'Cubic' four points - smoother.

'Edge Visibility' Turns the four main edges on or off. Affects both 2d and 3d.

Materials Top, side and bottom materials.

Sides in rendering Corrects texture glitches to all faces. Leave unticked for smooth.

Operations
'Rotation around X / Y axis' Tilts mesh over.

'Scale in X / Y / Z direction' multiplies all relevant coordinates by this amount. To reverse an action, enter in the inverse amount first put in; e.g. enter 2.0 to double the size, 0.5 to return.

'Presets' Creates a preset shape either of a saddle, a paraboloidic tube, or a vault.

2D features in parameter list
'2d view' Specifies either normal plan view, or a cut horizontal section at 0.000 level.

'Show grid in plan' Controls the 2d view of the surface grid regardless of the grid display in 3d.

Usage -

Start simple with low number of control points. Add extra points later as location of correct hotspots in 3d view quickly becomes difficult.

Try stretching XY positions on plan, then adjust height in 3d.

Editable hotspots are in vertical pairs in 3d. Lower hotspot controls XY position, upper controls height. They are labeled to avoid confusion.

Stretching it to extreme proportions causes glitches on surface.

Holes can be punched through with SEO. Geometry can also be trimmed to the mesh using SEO, except when set to wireframe ('net') or 'surface'.

Hope that helps!
Brett Brown
Advocate
Thanks Peter for your explanation. Now I have a better idea on how to use it.
Imac, Big Sur AC 20 NZ, AC 25 Solo UKI,
Anonymous
Not applicable
You guested ok that this is a hyperbolic paraboloid surface. I haven't succeed to reproduce this with a mesh because the mesh tries to interpolate between points with plat surfaces.
Thank you all for your help. Both objects suggested by you worked. Tentmaker and Mesh3d V2. I choose mesh3d V2 because I can set thickness also.

I attached a a render with the actual status of the roof now.
acoperis.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
Looks great! Glad it worked for you.
Learn and get certified!