BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

complex profile and stretch modifiers

heathldesign
Expert

Hi All I'm trying to modify a stock complex profile to make it better reflect how i use it. i have the foundation - concrete + wood plate + rim. in the real world the rim board may change depending on the floor joists. the rim board is composed of 4 fills what i can't figure out is how to get the entire rim to stretch. it looks to me like i need another set of stretch modifiers, but i haven't found anywhere that explains how to add them. you can see what happens when i add a modifier and change the dimensions.

Screen Shot 2022-03-28 at 18.04.45.pngScreen Shot 2022-03-28 at 18.04.34.png
MAC Studio 2022 M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 10 cores, AC26 5003 Apple Silicon USA
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
heathldesign
Expert

so there is no way to add other stretch modifiers? that would solve the issue. oh well, easy enough to create other profiles with different rim sized. 

thanks

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Barry Kelly

The problem is because you have split your rim board into 4 triangles.

The stretch modifier just stretches out the edge and because the sides are angled that edge you stretch extends in width as well, simply extending the angled sides.

The same happens if you stretch the sides of a triangle fill in plan.

I am not sure there is any way to win this one.

We need an option to be able to stretch a single node in one direction - modifiers currently can only be applied to an edge.

Then you could add that modifier to the top corners of the 3 triangles at the top and that would stretch perfectly.

Except the centre point of the cross would mess up.

The top of the bottom triangle would not stretch, you would need that to stretch at half the distance as the top of the rim board.

The only way I can see this working is to have a single rectangle instead of the 34 triangles.

But I know that gets rid of the automatic X in the timber cross section.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
DGSketcher
Legend

I do a lot of framing work & gave up on the quadrant splits a long time ago because the lines are not required at 1:50, and the simple stretchy ootb X-box object is easy enough to add to section details. It may not be an associative marker but it does the job.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
ryejuan
Advisor

for the complex profile the modifiers I feel its still in its primitive stage in terms of adjusting and setting parameters got limitations. end up those that i can stretch height and width I use this function but for those with more complex skins or layer of info I create several profiles for that. 😎

In the end what is your Objective?
ArchiCAD 9 onwards
Solution
heathldesign
Expert

so there is no way to add other stretch modifiers? that would solve the issue. oh well, easy enough to create other profiles with different rim sized. 

thanks

Not for triangular shapes that keeps the length of the side being moved the same length.

As least not that I am aware of.

You can add extra nodes so you have effectively a square end to stretch, but then the angled sides do not adjust for the cross.

I have tried all sorts of overlapping shapes to form the cross but nothing works as you would want..

The only thing that will work is to have a simple rectangle with no cross.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

Well I also understand that there's currently no way to add more stretch modifiers, but aren't the two you get enough? Isn't this what you're trying to do?

Stretch.gif

True.

You can set the vertical and horizontal stretch zones to just the area of the top plates/beams.

But that means any time you change the wall height or width, it will only be those beams that change.

All other heights you will have to set modifiers for.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
Learn and get certified!