Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

complex profile wall / wall opening surface

leven
Newcomer
Hi. Do you guys think it's possible to have the sides of the wall opening with the same surfaces as the main face of the wall? (In my case, pink in the upper area and grey in the bottom part). It is a complex profile wall. The side seems to take on the surface of the material in which the window sill is.
Levi
(Using AC23)
11 REPLIES 11
Hello Leven,

Do you try to do a special material about your pink wall in the upper ?
A special material with pink appearance ?
Do you delete all your door frame ?
Christophe - FRANCE
Archicad Designer and Teacher
Archicad 15 to 27 FRA FULL

OS 11.6 Big Sur - MacBook Pro 2017 - 16Go RAM
"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin
leven
Newcomer
The pink and grey colors are linked directly to the materials. Surface overrides are activated neither in the complex profile settings nor in the general wall settings. Window casings are turned off.
Levi
(Using AC23)
Hello,

I invited you to duplicate your material only to give it a pink color
I think it will work

Attention, it is necessary to post screenshots of the INT version of Archicad.
Christophe - FRANCE

"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin
leven
Newcomer
Thanks but it is the same issue regardless of what building material I use. By default, the entire height of the side of the opening is painted by the same material in which the window sill cuts.
Levi
(Using AC23)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Try using the new AC23 Opening Tool to make the wall opening and then place the door/window with no reveal.
Hi Leven,

You're right !
I have tried and all doors and windows seems to keep the material frame under.
So I invite you to put a volumes like these (few mm are enough) :

.. and do a SEO and hide your operator volumes :

If you work with AC23 you can try with the new hole tool !
Christophe - FRANCE

Barry Kelly
leven wrote:
The side seems to take on the surface of the material in which the window sill is.

I think it is actually based on the anchor point of the window/door - i.e. head or sill.

I don't think there is much you can do with the default Graphisoft doors and windows.
It is possible to solve in GDL (I have done this for my own windows) but I wouldn't want to mess around with the Graphisoft windows as they are a little complicated.

Christophe's solution of a slightly oversized opening is probably the best.
Or you could add a very thin & tall slab or beam (rather than a wall due to the automatic wall trimming) or even a morph surface.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Lingwisyer
Guru
Barry wrote:
It is possible to solve in GDL (I have done this for my own windows) but I wouldn't want to mess around with the Graphisoft windows as they are a little complicated.

I did not think that you could solve this in GDL in a direct sense as there is no way to request the breakdown of the division of surfaces in Complex Profiles as far as I knew. You could instead script in a secondary Wallhole or Wallniche with a user defined surface and height.

How did you do it in your windows?
n = REQUEST{4} ("Profile_component_info", name_or_index, component_ind, param_name,
value1, value2, ..., valuen)

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Barry Kelly
Lingwisyer wrote:
I did not think that you could solve this in GDL in a direct sense as there is no way to request the breakdown of the division of surfaces in Complex Profiles as far as I knew. You could instead script in a secondary Wallhole or Wallniche with a user defined surface and height.

Correct.
My solution is not 100% automatic
I use WALLNICHE for the different inside and outside reveals that do find the wall surface automatically.
I then have a boolean switch if I want to split the external reveal material.
When that is activated you have to set the surface materials manually and there is an editable hotspot to adjust the height.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11