BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

continious molding around door!!

Anonymous
Not applicable
i have been using archicad since September and i consider myself still a novice. However, i am currently having trouble making molding around a door frame. i need to make the molding extrude along a certain path. In other words i need it to angle around the door. i have to make two different moldings that are not continuos and look silly. i believe there is a super simple way to do this but i am still adjusting to archicad. some one help please...
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
It is not clear from your description what you are trying to do. I gather it is something more than a simple mitered casing you are looking for. I also assume that you want to use a custom profile and so can't use the casing options built into the doors and windows.

One way to do this is use profiled beams, columns and/or walls to build the casings in situ. Assuming you have multiple identical instances you can then save this assembly as a module and copy it around to the other locations. This way you can edit the original and the rest will update automatically. You can also just group the parts and copy the groups around. This loses the auto-updating but allows for individual adjustment without having the break the links.

It may be that to get what you want you may need to lay out the casings flat on the floor and then save and place the completed assembly/assemblies onto the doors/windows. In this case you have to save the casing assemblies as library parts. This has the same advantage as the modules that you can change the original and have the instances update automatically.

There are a few subtleties to each of these methods that I haven't time to go into. If you post a picture of what you want I'm sure you can get some more detailed advice.
Anonymous
Not applicable
matthew,

thanks alot for your help but im not sure as to what you mean about laying it flat on the floor? attach is an image file that may help you see what i am trying to do.
ACCamera2.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
matthew,

as you can see i am messing with some complex moldings that need to rap around the door a certain way. i attached other test rendering that i had done
ACCamera.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
baranovich wrote:
matthew,

thanks alot for your help but im not sure as to what you mean about laying it flat on the floor? attach is an image file that may help you see what i am trying to do.
You can lay out the parts flat in the plan view and "Save as..." a library part. This won't help you with the curved openings. It looks like you are using rosettes at the corners so you could use columns at the sides and a profiled wall (for the curve) at the top.

Some of the solutions I have suggested can get a bit advanced. I would suggest you start out playing with the profiled elements (walls, columns and beams) and see what you can manage.

The best solution if you have the budget for an add-on would be to use:

OBJECTIVE

ArchiForma 2

3D Profiler
Learn and get certified!