Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

create profiles in GDL

Anonymous
Not applicable
Can I create profiles in GDL and use them in tools such as columns,How to do?
7 REPLIES 7
Barry Kelly
You mean like a turned timber post?
If so you can create half of the profile in the Profile Manager.
But you would not use it with the column tool.
You need to use it with a circular wall to get the rotation of the profile.

Columns can use profiles too, but it is a plan profile that is extruded in height.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
thanks Barry.

Sometimes I need to convert 2D CAD graphics files to AC 3D objects. I wonder if there are any shortcuts to achieve this.
In GRASSHOPPER, square pillars can be quickly established, but special-shaped pillars cannot be generated by AC-GH. Therefore,if it is possible to make cross sections according to CAD drawings in AC first, and then call them in GH.
Or there are other ways to do it.
Barry Kelly
I know nothing about Grasshopper.
But it is possible for GDL objects to use profiles created in the Profile Manager.
This is what the custom profile balusters and posts (rails as well) do in the railing tool.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
I just want to know how to create profile with GDL , not in the Profile Manager.

maybe API can, but I am poor at API.

thanks again.
Hmooslechner
Rockstar
From my level of knowing GDL - it is not possible to create real Archcad-profiles in GDL. Just the other way round is possible - to use Archicad-Profiles in GDL.

But

Many 3D-commands use "profiles" (not Archicad-profiles) in form of coordinate-lists.

I personally like to use the Tube-command: in the GDL-handbook you can read:

TUBE
TUBE n, m, mask,
        u1, w1, s1,
        un, wn, sn,
        x1, y1, z1, angle1,  !!!! here !!! this is the pointlist for the coordinates for the Profile which later is following the path..
        xm, ym, zm, anglem  !!!! this is the coordinate-list for the path..

To use profiles - you must create the coordinate-list for your profile..
AC5.5-AC27EduAut, PC-Win10, MacbookAirM1, MacbookM1Max, Win-I7+Nvidia
John Edmundson
Participant
Barry Stated: "But it is possible for GDL objects to use profiles created in the Profile Manager."

Does someone have an example of how this is done. I would like to use some CUSTOM PROFILES that I have created in GDL library parts. Thanks
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
John wrote:
Barry Stated: "But it is possible for GDL objects to use profiles created in the Profile Manager."

Does someone have an example of how this is done. I would like to use some CUSTOM PROFILES that I have created in GDL library parts. Thanks
There is an example file from Graphisoft in my post in this thread: Profiles in GDL

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14