Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

create soffit on gable end

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have a curved stucco soffit. How do I get it to turn the corner and go up the gable end?
The attached picture is as far as I could get. I created a morph. With the tube command it goes around the eaves easily. The push/pull and tube functions will only extrude perpendicular to the face. I need it to extrude up the gable. I copied the face up the gable and connected all the nodes. All the faces create properly, except the curved face. How do I force the curved face to create? Is there a way to get that curve to stretch in the direction I need it to and create a surface? Is there a better way to do this?
10 REPLIES 10
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
I generally take the reverse approach (sort of). I use single plane roofs as the 'block' shape, from which I remove the profiled shape with Solid Element Operator.

If you draw the bits to cut away in the complex profile editor, you can use an angled beam to remove the bits you don't need. Put these beams on a hidden layer (preferably with a layer intersection group number not used by anything else in your model).

Perks:
1. single plane roofs are very easy to connect together in 3D by selecting one and while holding CTRL on the keyboard, clicking the edge of the other roof to connect
2. you can edit the profile to reflect changes, you need to re-draw the morph everytime you choose to change something
3. your floorplan display is generally good 'out of the box', no need to patch things up with fills etc
4. you don't have to be too precise with the SEO beams: you can overstretch them a bit, as long as they cross eachother (or touch)

Now you can also use profiled beams to make this, but than you have less control of the mitred joints and such and the floorplan display of beams is rather limited.

Attached an old screenshot from I believe ArchiCAD15 from way back when I tried to explain this before.

I used some extra roofs on the SEO layer to create mitred joints, as sloped beams wouldn't do that back then I believe.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Here in Arizona, our stucco soffits extend to the wall. The roof does not. SEO does not help. If I had the gable profile that cleans up to the eave profile then I wouldn't need any help. I could just stretch it up the gable and be done. The curve on the profile is cut on a 45 degree angle to the wall. I need it to project to a plane perpendicular to the wall and the roof so I can make the right profile. Your eaves have a perpendicular cut so the profile going up the gable is the same profile as the one on the eave. I have plumb cut eaves.
Barry Kelly
If the profile is perpendicular to the top roof surface, then it should be a matter of just wrapping it (tubing a morph surface) around the top roof perimeter.
Imagine the roof top surface flat on the ground.

However if the profile is perpendicular to the ground, then you will need a transition frome the eave, horizontally around the corner to the gable, and then up the gable.

Maybe this post will help.
I also used the railing tool to do this as it takes care of the transition around the corner, unlike a morph where you would have to work it out.

https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=61547&hilit=gable+profile

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
I tried suggesting a horizontal and vertical return on the gable, but it is not the architecture that the client wants. A transition piece is incorrect. Two different size pieces of foam that come together without any transition is done all the time here.
The ability to extrude a 2d shape in a non-orthogonal direction is what I need.
Barry Kelly
Loren wrote:
The ability to extrude a 2d shape in a non-orthogonal direction is what I need.
Create a flat morph surface that is the shape of your desired profiles, one for the eave and a slightly different profile for the gable end.
Then rotate each morph in 3D so that it is perpendicular to the top surface of your roof and then extrude them along the edge of the roof and gable.
No need to extrude along a non-orthoganal direction as you will be extruding perpendicular to the morph surface.

The problem you will have with this is to find the angle that you need to mitre the ends so they join nicely.
You will have to use a zero thickness roof or another flat morph surface that you can get into position to perform a Solid Element Operation with, then hide the operator in a hidden layer.

You could possibly do it with the railing tool.
Use one railing but set a different profile for each segment.
They should mitre automatically, but you will need to know the exact profiles to suit the pitch or your roof so they mitre at the angle you want.
I haven't tried this though and can imagine there may be problems.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
These profiles are underneath the roof, not on the face of the roof. The angle has to be 135 degrees from both walls or it will not align with the corner of the roof. The projection of the eave profile perpendicular to the roof and wall at the required cut angle is necessary.
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Think you will find that you've 'stretched' or 'warped', or however to eplain it, the profile that is going up that angled gable. Or rather that is what should be happening in order to have that perfect vertical joint seam.

I'm no carpenter, but I imagine this would give them a headache too.

When using the 'tube' extrude command with morph, mind that it is important where you click your 2d morph face when you start extruding. In your case, make sure you click the top right corner where it touches the bottom of your roof. If you use this to extrude the path, it will follow along fine, however you will notice that some of those straight rectangle faces will have an extra line going diagonal to create two triangle faces, this is the warping I'm talking about.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
The framer puts a 14" piece of plywood between the roof overhang and the wall. The stucco guy cuts a piece of foam in 10' lengths with a special band saw. They rasp the corners of the two different size pieces of foam until it looks good. It is not an exact science. It is easier in the field than it is on paper.

If I click on a node then the tube command does not come up on the pet pallet.I have to click on the face in order to get the tube command on the pet pallet. I can use alt+shift to set the origin at the node, but the face can only be pushed or pulled in a perpendicular direction.

I did it very easily in MicroStation. AC hasn't supported dgn compatibility since V7. V8 has been out for 15 years. I had to convert it to IFC and import it.
Lingwisyer
Guru
I have gotten a TUBE to follow a 3D polyline before, though it does sometimes not want to play when you get to a change in the line such as going from a straight to a curve or curve to curve.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660