Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

dashed lines for footing in plan view using profile?

hampden
Booster
hopefully this is not a double post...not sure what happened the first time...

anyone been able to get a plan view of a wall using a custom profile to show a foundation with a dashed line for the footing and a solid line for the foundation wall? (see attached image) i have not been able to show dashed lines for any part of the wall below the cut line, only seems to have a parameter for above....seems odd as this feature seems ideal for footings, any one have a workaround or see something i'm missing?

-stefan

fnd profile.jpg
Stefan Hampden
CAST architecture - Seattle architect
10 REPLIES 10
TomWaltz
Participant
It would be really nice, but Archicad is pretty literal about way too many things, and there is no way to model a dashed line...
Tom Waltz
Scott Bulmer
Booster
You may have to do the old Explode & Keep Original Elements trick.
AC27 v. 4060 w/ MEP, Cadimage, Twinmotion 2023.2.2 using AC from AC6.0, 2021 MacPro M1 chip, Adobe CC. Used AC on both platforms.
hampden
Booster
Scott wrote:
yup that's what i was afraid of - sounds like separate modeling and line layers...this lack of detailed control over model representation is a good illustration of the gap between the goal of BIM and its (current) reality ... it's kind of ironic because it's actually closer to BIM to model the two separately on different layers and assign the footing a dashed line property.
Stefan Hampden
CAST architecture - Seattle architect
I have't found a way to get custom profiles to show with mixed linetypes. But you can model the footing as a wall, and just set the floor display type to "overhead", with an overhead linetype of dashed. (Obviously, it isn't really overhead, but the program doesn't care.) This way you can have a clean combined foundation in section without the dashed linetype carrying over, and section fills will display properly, too.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
Or you could just use a slab.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
Chazz
Enthusiast
Scott wrote:
Heaven forbid! How about just a little magic wanding with a fat dashed white pen polyline above the the footing lines? This way it reads properly in section and plan. However, this is perhaps still too much of a hassle because it doesn't track if you (say...) move the Profile Wall in 3D. And it smells too much like drafting.

Want something that gives you the dashed line AND tracks automatically when the wall is Profile Wall is moved? One way would be to put a zero thickness Wall Accessory that has the same width as the footing line. Now assign that accessory that same fat dashed white pen in 2D and viola, it reads correctly in 2D, section and 3D AND it tracks automatically when you move the Profile Wall. It's a pretty gnarly workaround though.....

At least tricks like this used to work. Do Wall Accessories work on complex profile walls?
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
At least tricks like this used to work. Do Wall Accessories work on complex profile walls?
They do Chazz (although not in a very friendly way). What wall accessory do you use, with which settings?

Cheers,
Link.

PS. This guys a friend of yours, or are you just a geographical victim? :

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=11277
Chazz
Enthusiast
Link wrote:
PS. This guys a friend of yours, or are you just a geographical victim? http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=11277
Santa Cruz is a bigger town than one might think, with a broader range of opinion than we get credit for. As for my acquaintance with
Mr. Logan Cartwright
United States of America,
Leader of the Free world.

I will only say that I was as big a fan of BONANZA as the next kid.
Chazz
Enthusiast
Chazz wrote:
Want something that gives you the dashed line AND tracks automatically when the wall is Profile Wall is moved? One way would be to put a zero thickness Wall Accessory that has the same width as the footing line. Now assign that accessory that same fat dashed white pen in 2D and viola, it reads correctly in 2D, section and 3D AND it tracks automatically when you move the Profile Wall. It's a pretty gnarly workaround though.....

Link wrote:
They do Chazz (although not in a very friendly way). What wall accessory do you use, with which settings?

Not friendly is right! I should investigate these things before I post..... It looks like Wall Accessories do not remain associative when used with Complex Profile Walls. Bummer.