BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

drawing a sign

Anonymous
Not applicable
hi,

how can i draw something that's not on the floor plan (X-Y plane) but still have it appear in the 3D window? for example, i need to put a sign on an exterior wall (X-Z plane), and also paste a .jpg logo onto the face of a column.

thanks,
peggy
4 REPLIES 4
Dwight
Newcomer
you've asked several questions in one.

1: you can't "draw" anything on the vertical in 3D.

2: to place an image on the vertical requires a picture object of which there are several. "Parapicture" is my favorite. See attached. Place the logo file in the ArchiCAD library. paste its name into the object dialog. Stick the sign on the column. Viola.

As for wrapping a round column - you got a problem, sister.

This is a real test for a beginner. You need to make a new material using the logo mapped in the center of a surrounding texture having a width that will scale to the circumference of the column. IE: your tiny sign in the center of a big material map.

Then you apply the material to the column.

Study the manual for the "Align 3D Texture" command to learn how to position the material so that the sign faces the right direction.

And it will probably be backwards or upside down or both so use the Texture Space shader dialog in the material to flip or rotate or whatever it is I can't remember and fix it.

Huy yuy yuy. Post your result.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
thanks for the download. i managed to paste the parapicture object on the face of the wall but the logo is missing. i've loaded my logo.tif in the library manager (into Other Objects) and put the file name in the Image Name box. when the parapicture script runs, there are no errors but still no image.

and luckily, i'm not trying to wrap a round column with the logo. to put it simply, i just need to put some posters on a few walls. one challenge at a time..

thanks,
peggy
Anonymous
Not applicable
Peggy,

I put my picture images in the Textures / pictures folder in my library, that seems to work.

HTH
Anonymous
Not applicable
yes, It really works

onho
Learn and get certified!