BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

error scrreen in 3d view

Dave Brach
Advocate
I am constantly getting these error screens with all the text in 3d views. Clicking on another view makes it go away, but it is happening several times a day now and is annoying. suggestions?

Screen Shot 2015-11-18 at 10.44.00 PM.png
Dave Brach/architect
AC26 MBP OS Ventura
AMD Radeon Pro 5300M 4 GB
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
8 REPLIES 8
Barry Kelly
It is telling you that polygon is degenerated.
Doesn't say which one which is the problem.

Select portions of your model with the marquee tool and view that in 3D.
No error message try another portion.
If you get an error you can make the marquee smaller until you can narrow it down to just a few elements.
The select each of those one at a time and view in 3D.

I don't think it is an object as that usually produces a line error message.
Probably a slab with a bad hole cut in it or the perimeter is overlapping somewhere.

In your Work Environment under 'Imaging and calculation' you can adjust the level of info in the report.
This may help to decipher where the problem lies.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
There is something else you can try.
Go to the Work Environment Dialog and in the Mode Rebuild Options page set the slider to the right of the Write Report checkbox to Full Report, then click OK to accept.
Then, when the error comes again, ARCHICAD may provide you with more detailed info about exactly which element gives the error. Hopefully it will provide you the ID of the element, after which you can simply go to the 3D Viewpoint and find the element(s) with Find & Select.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

Regarding the written report, is there a way to change the identification preferences of the "problem elements" to show the unique ID rather than the Element ID?
Our office is using the Element ID as "typical element" identification (for window markers, wall types etc, it has the same ID throughout), therefore, the Element ID called out by the report is usually common to many other elements.
We usually use alternative methods to find the source of the problem (like cutting the model in halves) but is a way we can better track down the actual element?

LaszloNagy wrote:
There is something else you can try.
Go to the Work Environment Dialog and in the Mode Rebuild Options page set the slider to the right of the Write Report checkbox to Full Report, then click OK to accept.
Then, when the error comes again, ARCHICAD may provide you with more detailed info about exactly which element gives the error. Hopefully it will provide you the ID of the element, after which you can simply go to the 3D Viewpoint and find the element(s) with Find & Select.
Barry Kelly
In the Work Environment you can change the report from 'Brief' to 'Full', but I am not sure if this will give you unique IDs or still just the element ID.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you!
Ana
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello again,

A new degenerated polygon "grew" in the model overnight and, although the report is now set to full, the identification method is still by Element ID unfortunately.
Is there another way to change the report to show an unique ID or more identification criteria (home story, surface area maybe)?

Thank you,
Ana
Barry Kelly
Other than adjusting the report from 'Brief' to 'Full', you can not influence the type of information shown in the report.
Unfortunately you will have to search through your model to find the problem element.
As mentioned, select portions of you model to isolate and narrow down where the problem is.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for your feedback. I'll keep on slicing the model when I get into trouble

Cheers,
Ana
Learn and get certified!