Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

errors when creating 3d views

Dave Brach
Advocate
I am getting the following error message when trying to create 3d view. what to do?
Dave Brach/architect
AC26 MBP OS Ventura
AMD Radeon Pro 5300M 4 GB
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
8 REPLIES 8
Dave Brach
Advocate
this is another error message about a pen number, probably pen 0. Do I need to find the casement window and delete it?
Dave Brach/architect
AC26 MBP OS Ventura
Barry Kelly
In your stair settings (riser section) you will need to assign a building material for the risers.

This is a problem with the stair and railing library parts if you are not using a standard Graphisoft template.
All building materials, line types, pens, fills (i.e. all attributes) as set by default in the object scripts may not match those that you have in your job/template.

There are only 2 ways to fix this.

One is to edit all of the object scripts and reset all of the parameter defaults.
You will need to do this every time an new library (or update) is released.

The other is to set up a bunch of favourites with all the settings changed as you want them.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Barry Kelly
Just find the placed window object and check all the pen settings in the parameters.
If all the pens are set correctly then it could be an actual error in the object script.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
DGSketcher
Legend
The riser issue is straight forward - the assigned material is missing from the library.

The pen allocation is more interesting and I noticed it in a recent object I created. Unless trapped in the GDL parameter script, it is possible to use the background pens with values 0 and -1, (window background & transparent) as a foreground fill pen which causes the error you refer to in the window. Check your pens for the window to make sure you have assigned a pen other than the background pens for any foreground fill pen.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
runxel
Legend
DGSketcher wrote:
Unless trapped in the GDL parameter script, it is possible to use the background pens with values 0 and -1, (window background & transparent) as a foreground fill pen which causes the error you refer to in the window.
To "trap" this you can use this code in the parameter script:
IF mypen < 1 THEN mypen = 1
PARAMETERS mypen = mypen
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
Dave Brach
Advocate
thanks for the responses. I guess my question is: why does archicad give me these error messages at all? I don't care about pen numbers or missing materials that don't affect my work, but my 3D views are constantly crashing and giving me these long reports that just slow me down.

I just got new message today in yet a different project .pln (attached here). Seems like this is happening more often than before and reflects a software flaw.....
Dave Brach/architect
AC26 MBP OS Ventura
Bruce
Expert
ARCHICAD gives you these error messages because that’s what they are - errors. If you want to turn these off you can do so under your work environment settings
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
AC26 5002 INT Full | Windows 11 64 Pro | 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H 2.30 GHz | 64 Gb RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 32 Gb
Barry Kelly
Dave wrote:
I just got new message today in yet a different project .pln (attached here). Seems like this is happening more often than before and reflects a software flaw.....
This is a similar issue as the riser material.
In your stair there is an end plate used on a beam (stringer?) that has not got a valid material assigned to it.

Not so much a flaw in the software - just that you are not using the same materials in you file that the stair objects were set up for.

You can turn these error messages of in the Work Environment as mentioned, but be aware you may then miss out on more important messages.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27