BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

feeling lost [training materials?]

Jef Forward
Participant
Can anyone recommend a good training source for archicad 19? Our office is bringing in 3 new people, and it feels like we are starting over. I know we are not, but the lack of clear guidance to where "relevant" training material can be found is frustrating. I do know that guides are available as a pdf inside of archicad, but seems like a waste of time, like searching for a needle in a haystack. Its good for finding detailed information, but I need a good reference for a big picture approach.

I am looking to clarify our work flow, favorites and template libraries for creating schematics through construction drawings, for residential construction and remodeling. Any help and suggestions would be helpful. Is there a specific consulting team you would recommend? Is there a book worth while reading?

Thank you very much for any suggestions.
4 REPLIES 4
Karl Ottenstein
Beyond the manuals - which don't really explain how to use the software in practice, only how each tool works - there is a list of training materials and books on the GRAPHISOFT web site:

http://www.graphisoft.com/learning/training-materials/

http://www.graphisoft.com/learning/archicad-books/

I would recommend the BIM6x team for on site or remote training. Contact here: http://www.bim6x.com/talk-with-us

or read about their online 'ArchiBOOST' session and their staff here:
http://www.bim6x.com/archiboost
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Robby
Booster
This is another book that is not on the Graphisoft list:

ArchiCAD 19 - The Definitive Guide Paperback – June 30, 2015
by Scott H. MacKenzie (Author), Adam Rendek (Author)
Rob Marelli-
AC 26 & 27
MacBook Pro (2021) M1 Max -32 Gb RAM - Sonoma 14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Jef wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good training source for archicad 19?
I, personally, think that Graphisoft's own Youtube Channel is a great ARCHICAD reference. Here is a link to ARCHICAD training videos. However, this is more of a hands-on approach and, judging by the style of your post, will prompt you to search for some additional information.
Jef wrote:
lack of clear guidance to where "relevant" training material can be found is frustrating. I do know that guides are available as a pdf inside of archicad, but seems like a waste of time, like searching for a needle in a haystack.

This is not entirely true. As you noted, there is plenty of useful information freely available, however the problem here is in little-to-no effort applied to teaching people how to search and use that information.
Jef wrote:
I need a good reference for a big picture approach.
This you are going to have problem with.
Big picture approach is not something people are keen on using nowadays.
All efforts are directed toward teaching people to push specific buttons within ARCHICAD. I don't support this approach as I think ARCHICAD is just one (albeit the first, fastest, easiest to use and the most customizable) of BIM packages and without big picture approach any application becomes more of a limiting factor than a productivity enhancement tool.

When one has a chance to explain BIM to anyone interested, they should start with explaining how BIM developed over the past 30 years, how it became what it is today and how different software applications help us win clients, run our business and complete our projects. It does not matter whether you use ARCHICAD, Revit, AECOsim or any other application, as they are all the same. Any person with solid understanding of BIM will be able to switch to any related software package within hours, no matter what it is — ARCHICAD, Revit or anything else.

When someone mentions that they know how to use ARCHICAD, but have no clue how use Revit, AllPlan or Vectorworks, it sounds more like "I know how to drive Dodge Charger, but I don't think I can do Passat or any of Volvos, as their pedals are different in shape and color."
Jef wrote:
Is there a specific consulting team you would recommend?
I would stay clear of any off-the-shelf one-fits-all solutions. Architecture is a very loosely structured business and any solution you arrive at should take into account your own, established business practice. Don't let anyone bully you into changing your practice without fully understanding what it is you do and how you are used to approaching your daily tasks. Any solution should help, not break your routine.

If you have any questions, send me a private message and I will answer any questions you might have.
I've gotten a lot out of Eric Bobrow's materials. (www.bobrow.com) They are nice in that they can be viewed anytime, and have a couple of levels available. Archvista has done some good training videos, as well. (www.archvista.com). For in-person training, Link (BIM6x, mentioned by Karl) is certainly an expert and I would have no hesitation about his guidance.

I'm a big fan of video training, though, because you can go back and review anything you've missed, find subjects that meet your needs right now, and can pause to take breaks as needed.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Learn and get certified!