Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

general working in AC

Anonymous
Not applicable
How can you define the distance at which to place doors, windows, walls, etc. from other objects? Say I want to place a door 4'6" from a an interior wall. Is there a way to set this distance and place the door there the first time? The way I've been doing it has been to guess where it should be placed, measure it, and then adjust to get it where I want. There has to be a better way of doing this...
5 REPLIES 5
Stress Co_
Advisor
Here's one way:
For example, to place a door 3" away from an intersecting interior wall. The wall the door is to be placed in, is running along the "X" axis:

Select "Side geometry method" for the door.

Place a "temporary origin" at the intersection of the two walls (left side)

Place "cross-hair" over the "temp origin", It'll become a check mark.

Type "x" , -3" (to place the door on the left side of the interior wall).

Make sense?
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Anonymous
Not applicable
yea that does, thank you
Djordje
Ace
Here's another way:
Stress wrote:
Here's one way:
For example, to place a door 3" away from an intersecting interior wall. The wall the door is to be placed in, is running along the "X" axis:

Place cursor over the interior wall intersection. It'll become a check mark.

Type x0-3-enter to place the door on the left side of the interior wall, x0-3+enter to place the door on the right side of the interior wall.

typing yvalue+ moves the cursor relatively "upwards", - "downwards". The fact that you work in Imperial measures causes more typing, you have to type both feet and inches.

You can use + and - in 3D too - for example, if elevating something so that it is 3' higher, after starting the elevating and placing the cursor on the relevant point, type zvalue3-0+enter. It goes.

Works for relative placement of everything else, too.

HTH,
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Djordje
Ace
Here's another way:
Stress wrote:
Here's one way:

Place cursor over the interior wall intersection. It'll become a check mark.

Type x0-3-enter to place the door on the left side of the interior wall, x0-3+enter to place the door on the right side of the interior wall.

typing yvalue+ moves the cursor relatively "upwards", - "downwards". The fact that you work in Imperial measures causes more typing, you have to type both feet and inches.

You can use + and - in 3D too - for example, if elevating something so that it is 3' higher, after starting the elevating and placing the cursor on the relevant point, type zvalue3-0+enter. It goes.

Works for relative placement of everything else, too.

HTH,
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Robert Fuchs
Booster
If you are inserting a lot of doors or windows I use the distance feature set at the length I need then make sure that intersection is turned on. This will give you tick marks at the distance you set along the walls.

Robert Fuchs
Robert Fuchs
Miller Bosksus Lack Architects, P.A.
2x2.26GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon w/10 GB RAM
Mac OSX 10.6.4, AC 14 (3004 USA Full)