Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

glass overhead garage door

David Bearss
Booster
I have been fiddling with the garage doors in r11 and cannot figure out how to achieve a door as in the attached photo. Simple frame with glass panels. Searched in the forum and was unsuccessful. Have learned that the doors have some quirks that I have not been able to figure out. Eg the grill position throughout seems to be ineffective. Anybody been able to decipher?
David Bearss
Archicad 18/Windows 11
Alienware 17 R5
i7 2.4 GHz / 16 GB ram
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
I feel your pain Dave.
I too have wanted to find a door like this.
We are seeing more and ore of this design in both commercial and residential applications.
Anonymous
Not applicable
window shoping for a car thief?
i wouldnt display my car behind that
David Bearss
Booster
Lo and behold!
Tinkering this evening and figured out a work around.
Using garage door 2 and then selecting door style 5, I set the "rail height" to 2" and from there manipulate the horizintal and vertical grid number to my preferences. This way I can manipulate the glass setting to simulate frosted or translucent if desired. Not perfect but works great for now.
gar door settings.jpg
David Bearss
Archicad 18/Windows 11
Alienware 17 R5
i7 2.4 GHz / 16 GB ram
Daniel Lindahl
Contributor
Hi

I have just updated my PanelLiftDoor DL to include windows in the panels. Sent it to OO about a week ago, so it's not up yet, but this GIF will give you an idea of the possibilities. (You can also buy it direct from me if you prefer).

Cheers
Daniel
PanelLiftDoor DL401.gif
cheers
Daniel
-------------------------------------
Daniel Lindahl Architecture
AC24 | Dell Inspiron 16+ | Windows 11
Sightline
Contributor
Another workaround can be use any other king of door, but closed (d1 commercial for instance). Then, tweak the 2D.
Since the garage doors are limited and lack flexibility in their 3D parameters, it is always easier to complete work in 2D rather than 3D.

Working with BIM, we depend too much on non flexible objects in general. This is a major issue Graphisoft should take care of. It is a waste of time for users trying to find workarounds to libraries that have changed so little on the latest versions of ArchiCAD.
Diego Torres
Architect-CG Artist
Architectural Concepts and Visualizations
ArchiCAD 4.55 - 24
http://www.sightline3d.com
Daniel Lindahl
Contributor
Sightline wrote:
Another workaround can be use any other king of door, but closed (d1 commercial for instance). Then, tweak the 2D.
Since the garage doors are limited and lack flexibility in their 3D parameters, it is always easier to complete work in 2D rather than 3D.

Working with BIM, we depend too much on non flexible objects in general. This is a major issue Graphisoft should take care of. It is a waste of time for users trying to find workarounds to libraries that have changed so little on the latest versions of ArchiCAD.
There is awesome flexibility in good scripted objects, so a 2D workaround is never a good solution - it WILL waste your time down the track when you need to work changes into the model.

The door I made that's shown a couple of posts back has all the flexibility you would want (that was in 2008) but it never made it to Objects Online. They have discontinued support for all the independent developers out there since then, so at the moment my objects are not available for download, but you can buy them directly from me.

I am still looking for a good place to host them online again.
I will also work with directly with you to develop objects you need if you can't find what you are looking for.
cheers
Daniel
-------------------------------------
Daniel Lindahl Architecture
AC24 | Dell Inspiron 16+ | Windows 11
Johann_P
Advocate

Digging up another decade old topic.....

I managed to edit the door as described here, but I would like to change the size of the mullions. 

The mullions are clearly visible in the Twinmotion render, and display too slender.

I've been "trial and erroring" the door's settings with no success unfortunately.

I'm using D1 Garage 02 24, Style 5

Archi206.jpg

ArchiCAD24 - since Nov 2020
Revit - 2005 to 2020
Windows 10 Pro
2 screens: nvidia quadro RTX 4000