BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

how do i measure square footage in my building?

Anonymous
Not applicable
hi,
i need to measure the gross and net area of my building. what is the most efficient way to do this in archicad
16 REPLIES 16
fuzzytnth3
Booster
Mark wrote:
I use either zones or the fill tool as mentioned in the above.

Fills work great for sub-areas within zones.

Don't forget slab areas and roof areas included in the 'schedules' are another under utilitized feature. Can quickly tally multi-story, multi area buildings.

Mark
Yeah but only Zones have the ability to efficently deal with Gross and Nett area calculations which was the original question asked by laylool
AC versions 3.41 to 25 (UKI Full 5005).
Using AC25 5005 UKI FULL
Mac OSX 10.15.7 (19G2021) Mac Pro-2013 32gbRam AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB graphics
Arcadia
Booster
The Fill Tool can show the area on the plan (check the "Show Area Text" box), and updates automatically as the fill is edited.
I actually hadn't noticed you could do that. What would be better is if you could get the Autotext function to pick up the area's of fills with different labels so you could display an area's table in the titleblock that updates automatically as you change the fill.

Is there any way of doing this?

Net & gross area's I guess is a zone tools issue. I personally don't need net area's just gross so its not an issue for me (assuming net area is area without walls?).
V12-V27, PC: Ryzen 9 3950X, 64g RAM, RTX5000, Win 11
Rick Thompson
Expert
I already mentioned this above, but here is a screen shot. I think this is a sorely unused palette. If all you are after is square footage's, and no need to schedule it, all you have to do is keep it open, select the slab (or roof.. whatever).. and there it is. No fuss with fills and area text, updating etc.
Picture 1.png
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Arcadia
Booster
This is fine but doesn't work for me as the main house slab does not extend to the perimeter of the building but only to the inside edge of the wall cavity so the area of the slab is not the same as the overall building area.
Erich
Contributor
Arcadia wrote:
I actually hadn't noticed you could do that. What would be better is if you could get the Autotext function to pick up the area's of fills with different labels so you could display an area's table in the titleblock that updates automatically as you change the fill.

Is there any way of doing this?
Yes, use a schedule with the criteria set to Fill and the layer where your area fills reside. This will give you the table. However, I don't think you can place it in a master layout, it will need to go sheet by sheet.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Arcadia
Booster
I've just created a schedule for area's using fills and it seems to work quite well. Cheers.

By using zone, can we calculate the area of slab which has  to take thickness also,  and indicate value  in the plan with different zone types

Roopa A S
Learn and get certified!