BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

how surface paint on column only one side?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi
I have some column. In the column I want to use four different surface paint for four sides.
When I use surface paint, it automatically painted to all four surface. Why?
But in beam, surface paint is working one side, but in column not one side why?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Barry Kelly
Please don't post everything into the 'Archicad+' section (I have moved your post).
Try to post in a section of the forum relevant to your problem.

In this case, columns only have one surface material (for all sides, top & bottom).
So whether you change the surface in the column itself or with the surface painter, there is only one surface to change.

Beams have 5 - 4 sides and ends which is why you can change them all separately.

The only way I can think that you can change the surface of one column side it to make a complex profile column.
Then you can select (in the Profile Manager) one side of the polygon used to make the profile, and using the pet palette you can change the surface material for that side.

You still won't be able to paint the column or change the surface in the column settings.
You will need to edit the complex profile.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Yes, this is a difference between the two element types, and the Beam Tool is more flexible in this regard.
You can create a rectangular Column in the Profile Manager, and there you can override the individual edges of the Profile polygon so they are using different Surfaces.
Another way of achieving it is to convert the Column to a Morph element, then you can select individual Faces of the Morph and set their Surface. This solution is not as good as the first one because you will have to make sure your Morph is correctly classified as Column for purposes of schedule and IFC export. Also, a Column correctly and automatically intersects with other element types such as Walls, Beams, Slabs, while a Morph does not.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Solution
Barry Kelly
Please don't post everything into the 'Archicad+' section (I have moved your post).
Try to post in a section of the forum relevant to your problem.

In this case, columns only have one surface material (for all sides, top & bottom).
So whether you change the surface in the column itself or with the surface painter, there is only one surface to change.

Beams have 5 - 4 sides and ends which is why you can change them all separately.

The only way I can think that you can change the surface of one column side it to make a complex profile column.
Then you can select (in the Profile Manager) one side of the polygon used to make the profile, and using the pet palette you can change the surface material for that side.

You still won't be able to paint the column or change the surface in the column settings.
You will need to edit the complex profile.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
thnx
Anonymous
Not applicable
tried , but failed. Complex profile is also using one surface for whole element
Barry Kelly
arctushar wrote:
tried , but failed. Complex profile is also using one surface for whole element
This should explain what you need to do.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thnx for your reply.
Actually I did it before your comment. But this method is not fully satisfactory.
I want to use such way that after finish my full model. I can use surface painter on surface by simple visual.
By the way, if there is such way, plz let me know.
And thanks again for your response.
Barry Kelly
arctushar wrote:
I want to use such way that after finish my full model. I can use surface painter on surface by simple visual.
By the way, if there is such way, plz let me know.

It is not possible with the surface painter.
As mentioned the column tool only has one surface - actually I see now in 24 it has 2 surfaces - all sides and both ends.
As all sides are one surface, if you paint one you paint them all.

The complex profile solution is the only way I can think of (other than adding a morph surface or very thin wall or another thin column in front of the surface you want to change).
Another problem with the complex profile is that all columns based on that profile will be the same.
Change the profile and they will all change - so you will need a complex profile for each column that you want to be different.

There is one other way with 'Modifiers' in the complex profile.
You can add a fill to one (or more) surfaces and create modifiers to stretch their width.
Then you can adjust each column independently.
You will only need one profile if all the materials are to be the same, but if you need different materials to those set in the profile, you will have to create a new profile.
The only problem is you will need to make the surface fill quite thin - thinner than in this image - otherwise you will see it on the plain side of the column.
The good thing is you can set the width numerically in the info box for the column, so you don't have to zoom in to find the modifier line and stretch it.

Not a perfect solution but it does work I guess.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Barry Kelly
Actually I just realised that if you make the modifier stretch the width of the fill (and not the length), you can angle the ends of the fill so it won't be seen on the other surfaces.
Then adjust the modifier width to anything less than what was set in the profile and the surface will disappear.
Of course you can make the profile with a default fill inside the column so it won't be seen by default.
Then adjust the modifier width of that column to a value that would make it stretch to the edge of the column.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thnx, solved almost
Learn and get certified!