BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

how to chamfer a morph extruded curved block

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,
I have a morph created from a curve, then how to chamfer the top 2 edges? or how to achieved this with shell tool?
Morph tool seem to extruct fom one direction (perpendicular to the face)....

Thanks
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
I haven't tried on a morph like yours, but if it is a simple chamfer, then just select the edge(Shift+Ctrl) and apply the chamfer in the toolbox. If this is not a simple chamfer (Horizontal Dim different from Vertical Dim) then you could create a triangular Complex Profile > Apply it to a railing > Place the railing along the beam edge > Do a SEO to cut the railing > Finally convert the SEO'ed morph to a new morph.
But honestly, I think this is a job for Multi-Segmented Beam with specific Complex Profiles and Offset-Modifiers. Did you try this?
Barry Kelly
The morph chamfer will not work on all edges.

Maybe create morph lines on the end surface (in the chamfer shape you want), so you end up with separate surfaces.
Then 'Tube' (extrude) that surface along the curve of the morph.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
OK done by chamfer tool, then I will try 2-3 other means
Thanks Braza and Barry
Anonymous
Not applicable
@ emailcopy
You are welcome.

@Barry
I gave it a try and it was ok for me... Perhaps you forgot to "Apply to all edges".

Cheers,
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,
(1) But my AC-24 don't have "apply to all edge"...
(2) how can I chamfer an edge with different distances (x, y) at two directions?

Thanks
Anonymous
Not applicable
but I used the way to SHIFT-CTR select the edge then move it down...
Anonymous
Not applicable
1. I think you are using the Regular Fillet/Chamfer command to chamfer all edges.
You will have to: Select your Morph > Press Shift+Ctrl kees > Click on the desired edges (They will become blue when selected) > Left Click on any selected (Blue) edge > The Morph Tool Box open > Select Fillet/Chamfer Operation Icon > Insert the desired Chamfer dimension in the Fillet/Chamfer Dialog box will open > Ok.

2. To give a different dimension to the chamfer you can move the selected edges to the right place.

Edit: Just saw your last post. 2. Yes. Exactly
Anonymous
Not applicable
OK Thanks Braza
Barry Kelly
Braza wrote:
@Barry
I gave it a try and it was ok for me... Perhaps you forgot to "Apply to all edges".

What I meant (to be a little clearer) was is that sometimes it won't work if there is already a fillet/chamfer on another adjoining edge.
For example, now apply a chamfer to the front vertical edge of the morph in your image - that might work with a chamfer - but if you were dong fillets it wouldn't (at least not with the same radius).
Then apply a chamfer to the top horizontal edge - that won't work at all (even with a simple chamfer) when the other two adjoining edges are already chamfered.

But if you select all three connecting edges at the same time and fillet/chamfer and 'apply to all edges' it will work.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Learn and get certified!